Find
Notify
Tools

Venison Shanks Recipe Wanted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Couple of years ago I watched a great looking lamb shanks recipe develop on youtube.

Now I have the shanks and can not find her posting.

Anyone have a good recipe they would share especially if it uses slow cooker for the cooking after the browning stage.

Mine will not be as good as the real thing since we can not import any venison bones into the state.

Of course that has not prevented some folks from bringing CWD into some of our counties in their own unique ways.

Would love to see some of your recipe ideas.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Shanks

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanx Ann

Will try one f the three that seems to fit my needs.
LB

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They do look like pretty good recipes. I cut my shanks to fit my crock pot and let it go all day.

I start it on high and reduce it to low after the contents start to bubble and boil. Shanks are so lovely. Very good meat!

Let us know how yours turn out.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched Michele Eichler prepare shanks on the Outdoor Channel, I looked to see if there was a YouTube video of it, but I couldn't find it. We put the shanks in a slow cooker or Instapot with beef bouillon and a slice of onion on low and leave them in there until the meat falls off the bone. Let them cool and pull off all of the meat. We've made tacos, burritos, or with BBQ sauce we made pulled venison sandwiches. We've done this with moose, deer, elk and antelope.

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that "sadly" we've always de-boned and ground with the burger that we make but I'm going to try the Portuguese shank recipe next fall for sure.

I've already printed the recipe so I can make the dish properly. Too bad hunting season is so far away for me this time of year.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Whiskey Braised Shanks. This recipe is based on elk, so adjust the portions accordingly for deer, antelope, etc. The bottle size is a fifth, my wife once forgot and used half of one of the big Costco bottles. It was still good, but oh my the cooking aroma!

Ingredients

2T cooking oil
6 elk shanks
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery, diced
1 bunch Italian parsley
1/2 bottle Irish whiskey
1 bay leaf
10 peppercorns
4T tomato paste
8 thyme sprigs
1 garlic bulb

In a large deep braising pot, add oil. Saute shanks until crispy golden brown. Add onion, carrot, celery and parsley and continue to saute until well caramelized; deglaze with the whiskey. Add remaining ingredients and cover with water. When liquid is brought to a boil, place pot in 350 degree oven for five hours until meat is very soft and ready to fall off bone.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would do well to exchange them for lamb chops,
faint beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote