Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Lunch Menu while Hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Mars bar, bran muffin, and a cheese sandwich.
Water, mabey one beer if near camp.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<bigbelly>
posted
You guys and beautiful women need to QUIT smoking that s**t before going out,no wonder I hear so many wild hunting stories,I know the smell of a "fattie" burning seems to be a great deer atractant,but what about "the children" and also our fellow hunters safety.I like homemade jerky (teriaki,pepper,celery salt and smoked with real hickory chunks)save the "stuff" for Willie concerts (I know and G-D shows,yes they ARE still around)and get "off" on the hunting.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
That "stuff" attracts the grizzies too. Or maybe it's the day pack full of munchies?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always save one of last years venison summer sausage for sandwiches in deer camp. Maybe it's good luck, maybe not. Since this tradition I've been 100%.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
usually simple, some jerky, a smoked-spam sandwich (which sounds revolting right now but for some reason i love them while hunting) and water.

on the way out, i may or may not take coffee or hot chocolate, depending on the weather.

[ 02-08-2003, 23:50: Message edited by: tasunkawitko ]

<X-Ring>
posted
Canteen of water
Grannysmith apple
Grannola Bar
Dried fruit, and nuts. ( Ireally like dried cranberries with almonds ,and some whitechocolet chips) not really a trail mix but good and full of energy.

X-Ring

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm odd one out I guess, I take an MRE, quart of water and a small bag of home made trail mix. I figure if an MRE is good enough for uncle sam's finest, the're good enough for me. I get them for $30 for a case (12 meals) and they are good almost forever. Once you get use to the taste ther're quite good. I like being able to throw MRE's in the boat, truck, ATV bag and even tool box without worrying that I'll go hungry. Oddly enough a MRE will just fit in a BDU leg pocket.
This is enough for a whole day of hunting as long as alot of hard walking isn't included.
Rick

Posts: 44 | Location: East TN | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the quarry. If it's something that could potentially smell me then I go for the least odor. For example, I'm not much for bacon on mornings before a deer hunt. In those situations I normally try to buy snack type foods of whatever strikes my fancy at the grocery store. Reduction of noisy wrappers isn't a bad idea either. Minimizing the intake when hunting this quarry also helps to minimize the time spent #2ing in the weeds. Beyond that, Immodium in the morning will often hold you over until the evening.

Now, on birds, I've been known to take the grill out when goose hunting. I fried eggs and sausage and toasted muffins and with cheese on top we had homemade Egg McMuffins...very tasty. We've actually had to stop cooking and grab shotguns as the geese mapleleafed into the spread. With upland hunts we generally do something special for lunch as we've been doing a lot of walking.

Perhaps we've found something to do with women on the rag...take them hunting...to be used as decoys.

You know, I kind of miss CritrChik. I hadn't ever read through this thread and for a moment thought she was back. Oh well, our loss.

Later,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am probably the weird one here There's two ways i eat in hunting season out in the woods or at home Well i usually get up at around 4 o'clock Eat a bowl of cereal then i get going the about 5-6 O'clock or so i Come back and knowing my grandma and everyone that hunts around my dad uncle cousins and my Grandma she has a feast going on This is the usual 1st day meal Rabbit,Squarril,Corn bread, beef stew,potatoes,and corn on the Cob, some hand picked Dandelion Greens that me and her go and pick in the Spring and Cook and freeze them they taste as good then as the do when she unfreezes them Along with some of the best Homemade apple pie and pumpkin pies Man talk about good ^_^
And when i pack for my self it is usually Track about 6-7 miles of back roads till i get to these hilly woods a freind of the family owns and i snack on some jerky and an apple along the way for breakfast and was that down with a little 8 ounce thermos i have full of very strong coffee and ^_^ and the rest of the day is either Sardines little smokes and alit bag of chips or know the cook i am i fish my self a little Lunch/dinner of Fried rice some Rabbit maybe or other Early Game Meat or even some Deer Stew fry (From Bow Season) and some biscuits and i was it down with powerade ^_^ Heck with that Gatorade Crap here

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote