New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Lunch Menu while Hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious, what is everyone's favorite lunch while out hunting? If it is a sandwich is there a favorite? If you build a fire or bring a stove and cook a hot lunch what do you make?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
This isn't always my favorite but I usualy take a ring of polish sasuage. Just stick it in the game pouch and head out.This will do for me from 5am - 5pm. Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Met RX protein bar and a granny smith apple.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to bring a flame grilled medium Ribeye and fresh baked potato with all the trimmings. [Razz]
But I usually have to settle for a thermos of hot coffee and a pack of blueberry pop tarts.
Fuzz, I'll have to try the sausage, sounds like a good idea.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I always carry a 1 quart zip lock bag filled with trail mix, to which I add a generous portion of M&M plain. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't eat much while I'm out hunting,since I get absolutley puking sick if I have much on my stomach while hiking.I generaly pack a couple of Peanut Bricks-it's just peanuts,honey,and corn syrup mixed together into a bar.Sweet,tasty,and really hits the spot.It also won't melt in your fanny pack or day pack.I generaly wash em down with water,or if I'm fealing really adventurous,blue Gatorade. [Big Grin]

By FAR the best lunch I've ever had in the field was when I was watching a large prarie chain a few seasons ago.It was about 110 degrees in the shade.There was a nice,ice cold creek about a hundred yards from where I was sitting.I went down and put a can of Kippered Herring and a bottle of electric blue Gatordade in there.Two hours later they were absolutley ice cold and delicous.

If anyone says they pack champagne and caviar,you WILL be shot on sight. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally eat a light breakfast (pepperoni roll, cup of coffee) and that's it until dark. I bring water. I usually hit Wendy's or McDonald's on the way home. I don't get all that hungry sitting in the woods.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually head out from camp by flashlight and return by flashlight, so I generally don't eat any breakfast. I prefer to stay on the mountain all day, unless I'm successful of course : ) I'll either throw a couple of plain bagels and some cheddar slices or some kipper snacks (Always remember a zip lock bag to pack the can out!) and crackers in my pack. Sometimes I also take along some jerky, an apple, fig newtons, or a salted nut roll. Top it off with a cool canteen of water and a small filter system and you're good to go.

I hunt with some guys who head back to camp each day for "brunch" around 11:00am or so. They stuff themselves with sweet rolls, bisquits and gravy, ham steaks, fried potatoes,fried eggs, hotcakes, dutch oven, etc.., which is fine and dandy, but they miss out on a lot of opportunities during the day and they get so loaded down and lazy that they often just stay in camp.

Probably one of the best lunches I've heard of though was a buddy of mine went on a guided prairie dog hunt back in the Dakota's. They shot dogs all morning and then went to the guides house where his wife had fixed steak and lobster with all the trimmings, including some fancy desserts. He said they treated him like a king.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take a canteen full of water and some plain unseasoned jerky along with granola bar or two and some cheese. If I plan to be out all day long I throw in some veanna sausages or a can of spam and a candy bar. I also like to carry some hard candy to nibble on.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
A strong cup of black coffe. Some salted and dried roe meat and bread with lots og real butter on it.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<CritrChik>
posted
I like to take a homemade Cornish Pastie (venison, potatoes, onions, garlic baked in a short crust pastry) and really crunchy apples. A thermos of hot herbal tea is good on cold days but an ice cold fruit juice is my favorite. Anybody ever try the ultra pasteurized milk ? They come in 1 qt. cartons and don't need refrigeration till you open them. Those are great for extended trips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually top the tanks with a good breakfast of bacon and eggs etc and then go all the rest of the day with a canteen of water. But just as often I would end up back at camp early afternoon, eat something and then go out and hunt till dark. Quite often nothing happening for most of the afternoon anyway so my theory was to save myself for the "golden hours."

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I start the day like Pecos45 if someone else is cooking; Scrambled eggs, bacon, bisquits, gravy, big glass of ice cold milk, etc. Then I like to head out before light if I'm hunting a place I know. No flashlight, no food, no water. Sounds dangerous for someone in his 50s, but that's the kind of guy I am; living life on the edge. (Don't try this at home you youngsters in your 40s.)

If the health nuts get on my case I will put a couple of bite-size Milky Ways in my pocket, but eat them in the first ten minutes, once I'm out of sight.

If I'm mule deer hunting my metabolism shuts down I think. I don't get hungry, thirsty, or have to go #1 or #2. I'm in a zone.

If I bump into anybody on the mountain that offers me his food or water, I'll take the food, as long as I can finish it and not have to haul it around.

When I get back to camp I like to eat everything in sight.

The key is to always invite someone to hunt with you who prides himself on his cooking, and brag on him a lot. Also bring one guy who is kind of a neatness freak, so he will insist on cleaning up after you eat.

The third guy needs to be a fitness freak who prides himself on being in shape. He's the guy that's going to help you get your game off the mountain once you kill it.

That's pretty much the perfect hunting scenario. If there is room for one more guy, bring one who likes to field-dress deer. The only problem is that they generally are never around when you need them.

Posts: 13753 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CritrChik:
I like to take a homemade Cornish Pastie (venison, potatoes, onions, garlic baked in a short crust pastry) and really crunchy apples. A thermos of hot herbal tea is good on cold days but an ice cold fruit juice is my favorite. Anybody ever try the ultra pasteurized milk ? They come in 1 qt. cartons and don't need refrigeration till you open them. Those are great for extended trips.

Critrchik

when you make the pastys with venison do you just substitute cubed venison for the the cubed beef that is usually in the filling?

I have also used the UHT milk,I usually bring some along on the annual moose hunting trip.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hemingway sandwiches-- (Fred?)

my own lunch usually consists of buches of snack foods -game jerky or stick, usually a sandwich a chocolate bar sometimes sardines. a thermos of tea. what I bring depends on whether I am posting or stalking.

when it is cold in during the deer season in WI, we occasionally meet and build a fire and cook deer brats(bratwurst), beans and brew up some Nun's Tea.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snack type items are best as they must be shoved in the mouth quickly under a headnet to minimize the ingestion of mosquitos, white socks and other nasty bugs here in Alaska - no, these bugs do not add any protein to ones daily diet - preferred snacks are trailmix with peanut M&M's, teriyaki jerky in beef, turkey or fish - Snickers bars - Vienna sausages, bagels with creamcheese of various flavors, Clif bars (ice series as they have a little caffeine),always a small thermos of strong coffee or tea, and of course water.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<CritrChik>
posted
Rockhead,
I cut it in cubes and then chop it up in a food processor so its kind of course ground then mix it with the potatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings. A couple dabs of real butter on top the mixture then fold the crust over it. Just cubes makes them tough sometimes.
Try Lea & Perrins steak sauce squirted inside the pocket sometime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the hints CritrChik, I'll try them next week.

hey KMuleinAK I've been in your situation I know what you have to go through [Big Grin]

[ 07-21-2002, 06:13: Message edited by: rockhead ]

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Ah... food...

The Cornish pasties are a geat idea. We have a local butcher who makes a great pasty.

When I shoot driven birds on a cold day I often take a flask of hot oxtail soup with a good slug of port or sherry in it. It came really warm you up and it can relax your swing for the afternoon drives. [Wink]

Sometimes I take a food flask with hot grilled sausages smothered in marmelade. I put the sausages in a buttered soft bread roll. This is using traditional British pork sausages, big, fat and juicy, not like those dry wrinkly things you get in the States.

Try it, it tastes great on a cold day.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot one item: Nutter Butter Peanut Butter cookies, also great dipped in strong coffee [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming none of you chow-hounds are buying up a lot of the new scent-lock hunting clothes.

<CritrChik>
posted
Scent Lock Hunting Clothes ? Oh please, what a joke that is. Your biggest scent dispersion comes every time you exhale. Those suits are a gimmick marketed to those who do not know any better.
I wonder sometimes about the difference in reactions from animals from the scents emmitted by men and women. I've always believed that female odors are less threatening or perhaps attractive. Also the products women use like shampoos, moisturizers, perfumes, etc. do attract wildlife. I've experienced it.
Another question is what effect does the scent of menstruation have on various animals. I've had good success varmint calling during those episodes.

<Hutt>
posted
I carry a 6" roll of beefstick or salami a bar of pepperjack cheese and 4or5 breadrolls and make them up as I go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CritrChik, I probably should not ask, but what kind of varmints you were calling? [Big Grin]

[ 07-24-2002, 02:39: Message edited by: rockhead ]

<CritrChik>
posted
Coyotes, grey fox and bobcats for the four legged kind. Two legged varmints are visual "hunters" so a little leg and some cleavage works best. They're always in the rut too in my experience, necks swelled up, staggering around acting dumb when they see a doe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we should start a thread where everyone carrying all that food around for lunch tells us how much they weigh.

It sure appears to me we got a lot of big eaters wandering the hills.

I personally don't find the scent of a man very attractive. If he's close enough I can smell him, he's way too damn close.

A woman, now that es una otra cosa. I like a woman to smell like a woman, not a flower, not some crazy-ass perfume. The visuals are important, but that's just going to make me stop and look, it won't make me come to the call. I didn't get this old by falling for every little piece of eye-candy that comes calling.

Down here they use heavyduty eye-contact to get you to get within range. When I first met my wife she used some kind of atomic, body-snatching, brain-draining eye contact. I woke up eight years later, happily married. Talk about a good varmint call, she's got one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A days worth of food will fit in a one gallon ziplock bag and weigh about two pounds - having extra food is a good idea in Alaska as the weather can be cold and wet and the extra calories are a real bonus in keeping a positive outlook on the situation - water is also a must, sometimes mixed with some type of flavoring - as far as food smells, when we go bear hunting we like to bring several items: 1) a newbie that has never hunted bears, 2) bacon and smoked salmon 3)my friends future ex-wife or girlfriend [Big Grin] [Big Grin] --- Kensco - I can relate to your statement about the Latina babes, my brother was hooked by a beautiful Tica from Costa Rica - the wedding was quite a sight, just about threw my heart into permanent overdrive - I've heard the same is true in the South American countries [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
These guys just think Cape Buffalo are dangerous. They haven't run into a covey of Latinas.

The Venezolanas are mind readers, and they like what they read. Their first question is usually, "what are you waiting for?"

It wouldn't do me any good to be thirty years younger. They would still scare the bee-jesus out of me.

I think the divorce rate for American men working in Venezuela is about 85%. American women don't understand the meaning of the word s-e-n-s-u-a-l. Latin women invented it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The oxtail soup with a shot of port or sherry sounds great, I think Rockhead and I will add that to our lunch repertoire this season.

We eat very well in the field. I used to do that all-day stomps with a canteen and a hunk of jerky, not so much anymore. Stop for lunch, get in a nap after if the sun is shining. Life is short, and good.

quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
Ah... food...

The Cornish pasties are a geat idea. We have a local butcher who makes a great pasty.

When I shoot driven birds on a cold day I often take a flask of hot oxtail soup with a good slug of port or sherry in it. It came really warm you up and it can relax your swing for the afternoon drives. [Wink]

Sometimes I take a food flask with hot grilled sausages smothered in marmelade. I put the sausages in a buttered soft bread roll. This is using traditional British pork sausages, big, fat and juicy, not like those dry wrinkly things you get in the States.

Try it, it tastes great on a cold day.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From "The Hemingway Cookbook."

To re-create Ernest's hunting breakfast, fry up an egg in plenty of butter and make the sandwich of the egg, ham, some thickly sliced onion, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, and a mustard pickle on slices of hearty bread.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hemingway sandwiches-- (Fred?)

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what no girl scout cookies?

[Big Grin]

If you need some let me know my daughters are selling them [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

[ 01-23-2003, 05:00: Message edited by: rockhead ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would make the sandwich too thick.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:

[Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jerky, some nutz & dried fruit slices, water.
[Big Grin]  - [Big Grin]
I make up for it at supper.

[ 12-10-2002, 08:51: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter and bacon sandwich on toast. Made with leftovers from breakfast. Tastes good cold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lance Toastchee crackers, nutrigrain bar, water

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone ever have shagworp?

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:

[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually don't get hungry after a breakfast of baking powder biscuits and stew, or camp breakfast (I gave the recipe in a previous thread). But, I take along some jerky and a 20 oz bottle of water. If I'm still hungry after they jerky, drinking water will make it swell.

Another favorite is very easy, but loud:

1 package oyster crackers
1/4 cup oil
1 package dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing

Put the crackers in a one gallon plastic bag and pour on the oil. Shake it until the oil is distributed. Then add the dry dressing mix. Put in a roasting pan and bake at 250 deg F for 10 minutes. Stir, and bake for another 10 minutes. Very good (I'm eating some right now).

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the swamps of South Carolina, we like to eat our prey at lunch. My hunt club's favorite is venison cube steak, gravy and onions served over yellow grits with a fried egg on top!

To make it, flour your cube steaks with plain flour seasoned with salt,pepper and creole seasoning or a good seasoning salt. Pan fry the steaks in a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil over medium high heat till browned on both sides. Remove the meat and sautee one medium sliced onion. Remove onions. Reserve about 6 tablespoons of oil and add enough flour mix to make a creamy roux. If you want more gravy, reserve more oil. Cook the roux over medium heat till it takes on a medium brown color. Next add water while whisking and bring the gravy to a medium boil for about a minute. Adjust with water to get a consistency you like. Reduce heat to a simmer and return meat and onions to pan. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, turning once. Prepare yellow grits according to directions on box. Put a big spoonful of grits in the middle of the plate and then place a steak or two on top with lots of gravy. Quickly fry and egg over easy and place on top of the steak. Then commence to hurt yourself! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3648 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just take CritrChik, if she makes that kind of lunch, thats sounds better than anything I could come up with.
Doug

[ 01-26-2003, 03:07: Message edited by: Magnum hunter ]

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<pshooter>
posted
Can't think of nothin better than a breast and a thigh for lunch [Smile] Then a nap (I'm gettin old). mvm

[ 01-26-2003, 18:48: Message edited by: pshooter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If i'm on a all day hunt I just pack BBQ Vienna sausages,Jerky,water.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote