New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venison Curry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is not my recipe. Rather, I have copied it from the May-June 2019 issue of Montana Outdoors Magazine. It seems like a lot of ingredients, which I why I have not tried it yet. But I am copying it here because I know a lot of people like curry flavored foods.

Directions:

In a large Dutch oven or other oven safe pot, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Brown 2 pounds of venison stew meat (or you could use beef chuck if you've already eaten last years trophy buck). the meat should be cubed and seasoned with salt and pepper. After browning remove the meat from the dutch oven.

Add 2 large chopped sweet onions to the pot and brown for 7 minutes. When the onions have been browned add the meat back into the pot with the onions.

Then add 1/3 cup of curry powder, 2 tablespoons of mustard seed, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric, 2 large cinnamon sticks, 6 whole cloves, and 1 bay leaf. Cook while stirring for 1 minutes.

Then add 1 28 ounce can of chopped tomatoes, 2 cups of beef broth, 2 teaspoons of minced jalapeno peppers (or more if you like it hot) and 2 tablespoons of minced ginger. Bring to a boil. Then place in oven and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.(more if you are using roast instead of stew meant)

Then remove from the oven stir in 1 14.5 ounce can of garbanzo beans and a cup of whole milk.

Serve over cooked white rice with a little bit of chopped peanuts and shredded coconut sprinkled on top.

Maybe somebody else could suggest what to drink with this.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beer

Only thing that goes well with curry is beer - preferably the best beer in the world - something from Mexico

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about using garbanzo beans. I would replace the milk with coconut milk. Richer flavor.
Looks good. Thanks

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would have to try this before making a judgement but I think I would eliminate the coconut altogether. For me, my tastes run meat + potatoes, Tex-Mex, + German. I don't like a sweet taste (unless it's sauerbraten).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A tip: Every recipe I see about browning meat starts with "Put oil the the pan." No. I use a cast iron LeCruset or Lodge Dutch Oven, get it hot, but DRY! After I season the meat with S/P, I put a little oil WITH THE MEAT in a bowl and turn it so all sides are covered. THEN put the meat in the pan to brown. Leave it until it releases, then turn. When you turn, you'll be turning onto a side with more oil. You don't need a puddle of oil. Here's why - if you have a puddle of oil between the meat, when the water leaves the meat it will splatter everywhere, especially when you turn it.

Might be the 'wrong' way, but it works for me, and works well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
I don’t know about using garbanzo beans. I would replace the milk with coconut milk. Richer flavor.
Looks good. Thanks

Definitely coconut milk.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should this be cooked covered or not? The recipe doesn't specify. It sounds good!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste good venison in a recipe like this. I personally want to taste my venison as opposed to tasting curry

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good tip, Baxter. I generally do that with my roasts but I know most folks tend to put oil in the skillet prior to the fact.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will have to try this -- with beef. No venison in my freezer. I like curries -- and coconut milk. I would serve this with multiple cold Singha Thai beers.
And Bax, I thank you as well for that tip.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill

Please report back after you have tried it and let us know whether you liked it or not.

Thanks.

Kevin

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting cause one is slow baking the curry.

I have started to cook a bunch of curries on my firedisc Discada https://www.firedisccookers.com/

Given I dislike complex cooking. I buy the pre made shan spice packets and ginger-garlic paste at the local Indian/Asian super market.

The issue with beef is that it tough to completely cook on the discada. I need to go finish it off in a pressure cooker to cook the meat.

This idea of a Dutch oven to slow cook seems very interesting. I should give it a try.

I have also thought of using a sour vide to precook the meat.

May be Australian lamb rack from Costco tomorrow and cook some curry.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I use; S&B Golden Curry mix; spices are already mixed.
It is from Japan and all the Koreans use it. It is NOT like Indian curry and does not use coconut milk, which I abhor.
Try it. Get the Hot or Medium Hot. not the mild.
Yes, It kills the taste of the meat.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the hot just like I like the hot chinese mustard. Just don't breathe out through your nose after taking a bite.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here is what I use; S&B Golden Curry mix; spices are already mixed.
It is from Japan and all the Koreans use it. It is NOT like Indian curry and does not use coconut milk, which I abhor.
Try it. Get the Hot or Medium Hot. not the mild.
Yes, It kills the taste of the meat.

Rajah curry is also very good. I’ll look for the S&B

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Definitely coconut milk. If one does not like coconut milk, one can use a couple of table spoons of sour cream or plain Greek yoghurt. You can skip it altogether.

Any of the ready-made spice mixes will work well and you do not need to add cinnamon and cloves individually.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 784 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter, if you live in Texas, HEB carries the S+B on their International aisle.