Find
Notify
Tools

Alligator
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

Saw this and couldn't pass it up. I've never eaten a reptile or amphibian before and some folks warned me this would have a weird flavor. I was still game to try it. The meat was already cut up into small pieces in the package and I did not alter them in any way. No soaks, no marinades, no pounding...

I battered and deep fried the pieces along with a helping of onion rings using the same batter recipe. Here are the leftovers which will be today's lunch (no left over onion rings).

I was very happy with the result. There was nothing weird about the meat at all. I would certainly make this again.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Weird people eat weird meat! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you only live once! hilbily

Remember, they eat dogs in china. I will try most things. Something I won't though is opossum. That's one ugly critter, even the vultures are hesitant about eating them. Probably wouldn't eat a dog either.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, alligator is good eating. I 1st tried it at a Papadeaux restaurant along with the deep-fried crawdads. I will never order anything else. You need to have some richeous cocktail/hot sauce to really bring out the flavor, or make your own with a bit of catsup, some horse radish, + beaucoup of Tabasco! YUM!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I see it is considered a high-protein and low-fat healthy meat, but it is not kosher/halal.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I see it is considered a high-protein and low-fat healthy meat, but it is not kosher/halal.

That's the good thing about Christianity. We don't need to bleed animals while they are alive and can pretty much sample all that lives on the earth.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Looks good. We got to try it several ways while on my daughter's gator hunt in south Texas last fall. I liked it better fried and dipped in spicy cream gravy. We have a bit left from her gator that we'll dig into as soon as she's home from college for a bit of summer break.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alligator is good meat, crock doesn't appeal as they eat folks!! A branch of restourants in Texas serves fried Allogator and its great..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alligator is great! I ate lots of it when I lived in South Carolina. Them good ol' boys know how to cook it right!!

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
What a Croc.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to go to Pappadeaux restaurants that served Cajun stle meals. They had the best deep fried alligator nuggets as an appetizer but I would order a plate of those + another of crawdads + that would make a righteous meal. Unfortunately their format seems to have changed. We went out with family 2 months ago for supper + the meals were not the same + the price was out of this world; I'll never go back. Too bad, they had a good thing going but got greedy.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the days of my youth my family never 'ate out' due to the cost (6 of us). Perhaps those days are returning soon?

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't find alligator anything worth ordering again. I felt the same way about kangaroo. Had it to say I tried it, but wouldn't waste my money on it again.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, I agree. Too many (mostly youngsters but not all) have already formed an opinion on something they have never tried. I have eaten a lot of things that I choose not to eat again but I tried it 1st.
Ann, if you mean folks NOT eating out, I have to agree due to the rising cost of everything. My daughter in law's mother was down here for a couple of weeks + as she was leaving today we went out to eat last night. Nothing fancy, cafe food, beer on tap, just 5 of us + the bill was close to $225.00 but even that was almost half of what they charged at Pappadeaux.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ken, I agree. Too many (mostly youngsters but not all) have already formed an opinion on something they have never tried. I have eaten a lot of things that I choose not to eat again but I tried it 1st.
Ann, if you mean folks NOT eating out, I have to agree due to the rising cost of everything. My daughter in law's mother was down here for a couple of weeks + as she was leaving today we went out to eat last night. Nothing fancy, cafe food, beer on tap, just 5 of us + the bill was close to $225.00 but even that was almost half of what they charged at Pappadeaux.

Ouch.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch indeed! I know how to cook, + that eating out is a luxury I can't afford. I will never go to Pappadeaux again, + most likely any of the other places if I am expected to pick up the tab. With corned beef, cabbage, + new potatoes in the crockpot I can feed the multitude for under $20.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably eat out three times a year. Can't see spending the money for it when I can cook just as good and can enjoy it in peace and quiet at home.

That said, I do enjoy a good potluck with friends and neighbors. Now that is a lot of fun since you can try so many other dishes that you might not have made before.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Randy---what time is dinner? Count me in!

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip, funny you should mention that. 2 of our friends were going to come by on Sunday (been invited for weeks) + always make a batch so they can take a big tupper home with them. I need at least a day in advance to do the recipe right + low + behold I'm going to be gone all day Saturday for a friend's wedding so they are SOL, too bad as they really like my corn beef + cabbage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, not a total loss for them though. Mary had forwarded me an article from Texas Monthly magazine about the cedar choppers of central Texas + as it so happens, the guy who wrote the book (Ken Roberts) is an old friend of mine so I got him to personally sign one to Mary + have it waiting for her when she gets here; a little solace for no crock pot dinner. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
To many pre concieved ideas about what's etable and whats not~Ive eaten Mt. Lion, bear, wild donkey, road runner,gator, tried rattle snake, horse, Zebra and maybe whatever but my favorite meal is Menudo//

My grandson said, "pop you'd eat the ass end out of a skunk" rotflmo this younger generation just aint never been hungry!! I didn't like the rattle snake at all..

There is no nastier animal on this earth than a chicken!! they eat what buzzards refuse, are cannibalistic, eat their own feces so like I said most of what we refuse to eat is pre conceived and we were not raised eating it..

There are a lot of things eaten in this world that Ive refused to eat..Navaho Indians eat P-dogs burned over coals hair on and guts and all, I had to pass on that one.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember the old Paul Newman movie "Hombre" where he is raised by the Apaches? He encounters this white wife of the Indian agent who is appalled that those filthy Indians will eat anything, even dog; + he asks her, "You ever been hungry Lady?" Great stagecoach chase (not as good as Ford's "Stagecoach" but close) + Paul Newman's one-liners made this a classic "western comment/reply" a treasure. Worth watching.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Hombre" is a sad movie. Very good one though.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed! The hero dies while saving folks that don't deserve it. I loved the scene where Richard Boone was trying to taLk him into giving up the high ground + when Boone asaks him, "any questions?" Newman replies, "How are you gonna get down that hill?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was an Elmore Leonard book, but honestly, Newman's classic one liners made the movie (along with his 1886 Winchester)!