New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage
 Login/Join

<Fuzz>
posted
I have some deer meat that i'm going to grindup next week. Anyone have some good sausage recipes. I have a sausage stuffing kit and a big smoke house.
Thanks Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why limit yourself to recipies? Be creative.I am always amused by recipies calling for "italian sausage" when there are thousands of different types in italy.You need some fat, eitheruse pork fat or pork that has a good bit of fat in it.Grind it fine or coarse what ever your pleasure.Ad salt pepper and for my taste paprika,hot paprika maybe.If you don't care for paprika nutmeg or rosemary complement venison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fuzz, My Grandfather owned one of two grocery stores in my home town for forty years. He made his own sausage in the market and people came from long distances to buy it. I modified the recipe for deer and also wild boar when I was in Iran. The problem is that it's in my house in Texas and I'm working in Mexico. I'll post it when I get home in December. It has more sage than most sausage recipies.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting Buddy, Mike Alexander, provided this recipe a couple of years ago. We've made the small cuttings from 10 deer into sausage with it and have been VERY pleased!

Mike Alexander's Saugage

1 T. Red Pepper
2 T. Garlic
2 T. Mustard Powder
1 T. Bay
1 tsp. of MSG
2 T. Sage (measured as loose leaves, then finely crushed)
2 T. Marj
2 T. Thyme
1 T. S. Savory
4 T. Black Pepper
6 T. Salt

Mix the spices in a jar. Place meet in a bowl after grinding with appropriate amount of fat (remember that venison is extremely lean). Pour spices over meat. In a typical bowl, the spice layer should be an 1/8 to 1/4" deep. Blend and fold into meat. Taste test by microwaving small portion of sausage. If not enough flavoring ... add more and test again. Run through grinder 1 more time for the best blend, if you don't mind a very finely textured sausage.

This is rather a mild recipe. Adding hot pepper can liven it us considerably.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have learned through trial and error that you should use whole pork butts bone them out yourself or ask your butcher to bone it out for you.i mix 5 pounds of pork butts to 5 pounds of venision, grind the meat through 3/8 grinder plate and add these spices. 2cups ice water,4tb salt,1tb cracked fennel seed,2tsp coarse black pepper,1tb sugar,1tb crushed red pepper seeds,1tsp caraway seeds,1 tb coriander,mix the pork and venision togeather adding the spices as you mix,once you have the meat mixed add the water and mix some more then chill the meat(you can use wine instead of water)then stuff it into your caseings or make it into patties

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote