Find
Notify
Tools

How do y'all do pork ribs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I followed Meathead's "Last Meal Ribs" recipe again recently on a rack of baby backs, and while the flavor was good (used a smoke tube on the gasser), they just weren't fall-off-the-bone tender. Part of it may be that I just didn't cook them long enough; it was a really breezy day and I had to crack the Weber lid to keep it around 225 -- maybe just enough to fool the thermometer. After 4 hours, I put them in the foil crutch and stuck them in the oven at 300 for a half hour.
I am about done with baby backs in favor of St. Louis-cut ribs, too. Just have to look a little harder for them.
I know, not real pit Q, so maybe I am just dreaming. But I yearn for that "Oh my God, put me in a bib and hose me down afterward" religious experience that comes with really great ribs.

https://amazingribs.com/tested...bs-youve-ever-tasted

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have found this a good recipe. Jeff’s dry rub is good because it’s not heavy on the salt but any dry rub will work.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/de...-pork-baby-back-ribs

This is also a good. Method in general for pork ribs
http://www.smoking-meat.com/fe...-ribs-for-super-bowl

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jerry. I think I will try Jeff's 3-2-1 system on some St. Louis-cut ribs, but using Meathead's rub.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely, the best move you are making is getting away from baby-backs. I made the move in about 2010. Never looked back. More meat = GOOD

Actually, I don't smoke ribs much anymore, although I love them. One of these days I'm going to do Gato's Hog Ribs, It starts with one of Gato's hogs. The problem is it sounds like a lot more trouble (work/mess) to get the hog to give-up his ribs.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baby back ribs are absolutely no problem for me. I give them to my wife and say, "Honey, please cook these." Comes out good every time.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave the ribs connected to the chops form the chops into a circle and you will have "Crown Roast of Pork !! Fill the center with chestnut stuffing and you'll have a wonderful holiday meal ! stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a good slow cooker/oven recipe that is simple and works every time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16091/baby-back-ribs/

I like to put grill marks on them in the gas grill then cook indirect at 225 over a pan of water for 2-3 hrs. Mop with sauce to keep moist.

Edit: Forgot to mention I thin the bottled sauce
with apple cider vinegar to prevent excessive buildup and give better penetration into the meat. My fav is good ole Kraft Original.

Posts: 3667 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, yours is an elegant solution. Unfortunately I am all out of wives just now.

Frowner

Mete, that would be a hit meal for Festivus!
Bobster, that certainly is a straightforward recipe.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Charlie, yours is an elegant solution. Unfortunately I am all out of wives just now.

Frowner

Mete, that would be hit meal for Festivus!
Bobster, that certainly is a straightforward recipe.

There is a direct causal relationship between Lone Star "beer" consumption and lack of wives.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice theory Gato except ... the divorce was in Oregon. They don't have Lone Star in Oregon.

hilbily

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is obviously the tendency to drink Lone Star, a major character defect, which causes divorces.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have never had Lone Star but I have had 4 divorces. I guess I have a different major character defect beer

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My, now deceased first cousin, Ron was married 6 times, but he claimed the first 5 didn't count because they were all before he was 30. Married the last one late in his life and was married to her when he died.

I'm not sure he had any major character defects, he was just a p**ssy hound. And, he owned Clarence, the gold toothed dog. I wish he had written a book, he had some great stories, most with Clarence or dogs in them.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with too much wood. I went to pellet fed 20 Year’s ago and ribs butts and brisket are to die for. Temp is correct and keeps bitter bark flavor off.i used to feel like I was cheating but not for long.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I'd hate to go through it four times. Hoping for a "third time's the charm," but at almost 65 I need to hurry up before I have become completely worthless.
There you go, Gato, a gratis set-up.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know the feeling
I competed in bbq contest for years aa while ago and tasted it all while judging. That’s how I started using pellet cooker. It can be done with wood cooker I just used to get rid of the bark. There is nothing better than ribs cooked right. Cook to hot or not long enough they will be tough cook to long on low heat and they will be over cooked. Nothing wrong with wrapping in foil when close but take them off grill and put in igloo cooler they will finish. It ruins the cooler unless you put a old towel on bottom.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you need to cook with Mesquite and any decent Bar B Que sauce..no secrets to Bar B Que, that's contrived nonsence by fun loving cooks.

I make my own bar b que sauce mostly because I don't like it too sweet..an rubs are too dry for the most part, but its all good!~ some just is a little bit gooooodeeerrr

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For falling off the bone tender and tasty, I put my baby backs on the smoker for about 1 hr 45 min. Don't care at what temp the smoker gets to, just to get the smoke flavor in the meat. Then I put KC rib rub on them plus a handfull of brown sugar. Triple wrap them in Heavy duty foil and put them in the oven at 225 for 4 hours!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote