Notify
Tools

Burnt Ends
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So Bill wanted a thread on Burnt Ends.

So here it is....

Pretty simple really, cut off the ends of a properly smoked brisket and shazam, burnt ends. If you want more burnt ends cut the Point of the brisket back and smoke - you get even more burnt ends. And if you want a passel of burnt ends trim the point (fat) even more or separate and smoke separately.

I don't strive for maximizing burnet ends as I am more interested in the flat and point meat. But they are wonderful...

How to trim for more burnt ends - https://www.bing.com/videos/se...ends%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those look fabulous!

So do these, but I am sure our large friend gets a kickback from his local cardiology group for drumming up all the extra business ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill that is a great idea on a pork belly.

I have not cooked a pork belly ever and I love them - of course who doesn't right?

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I make an in smoked pork butt burnt ends by cubing the pork butt, then season, sear on the wood fired BBQ and then bake in the oven sealed in a pan with foil at 250 till they come apart with a fork. Amazing for tacos if you shred later. I use my spice paste method to season.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what goes into your spice paste?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It varies on mood and meat
A high smoke point oil like peanut oil
lots of chili powder usually
kosher salt
pepper (black mostly but sometimes white as well)
oregano
thyme
coriander
granulated garlic and or granulated onion
a bit of cumin
smoked paprika
Tajin (basically dehydrated lime juice, chili powder, sugar and salt)
for a unique flavor I’ll add a regional dried chili of some kind like pulla, Guajillo, Mirasol or Arbol chile for a more Mexican spin or just plain red pepper flakes.
the paste consistency will be like mud without the separation of oil but a homogeneous paste that allows more spice to stick to the meat than a dry rub if desired.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds awesome. Particularly on pork.

Someone else told me about Tajin. I have not used it but will order some from Amazon.

A few years ago I was doing a chili lime cilantro finish on pork tenderloin that was very good. Will try a smoked tenderloin version with the Tajin seasoning.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bacon-wrap the burnt ends. It's a little more work but................it's bacon.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every good cooking story starts with - So one day I was cooking bacon and...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If you do burnt ends pork belly, you don’t need bacon. Save the time and hassle. holycow

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think I need to have an Indian themed BBQ restaurant. I will call it, “Holy Cow!” since it will not have any beef. Indian BBQ fusion! Lamb burnt ends with a curry BBQ glaze? Tandoori hot wings? Raita coleslaw? Masala pork sausage? Vindaloo beans?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My son has done burnt ends a number of times. They are delicious! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
If you do burnt ends pork belly, you don’t need bacon. Save the time and hassle. holycow

If you've never had bacon, marinated in bacon, wrapped in bacon, and finished with a bacon glaze, you ain't had bacon.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Pork belly wrapped in bacon sprinkled with crumbled chicherones? Three little pigs?

quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

If you've never had bacon, marinated in bacon, wrapped in bacon, and finished with a bacon glaze, you ain't had bacon.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Alamogordo man found dead
ME says myocardial infarction
Victim was reading a "burnt ends" thread on Internet ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Didn't know I needed this in my life until now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, it's official - today I am shopping for a pork belly for this weekend's smoking gathering.

I am going to do it Memphis style with Corky's dry rub seasoning.

Will let you know if it was a hit or a miss.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hope it turns out fab, Opus. I know you'll report.
All I currently have is my Webber gasser and a smoke tube, so no burnt ends for me until I can come up with a real smoker/pit.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if it turns out crappy I only have you to blame...

Cool

But it's bacon, so nothing can go wrong...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You will be pre crisping the bacon I assume?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still sorting out my smoking method, but thinking of brining in Apple Juice and garlic for a couple of hours and then oiling the skin side and dry rub the top.

I know some guys inject, but I really get great bark on the Masterbuilt 560 so probably going more natural with cherry wood. I am tempted to crisp the skin Cuban style with hot oil once the smoking is finished, but will wait to see how things turn out after the smoke.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Burnt ends pork belly?

quote:
Bill, it's official - today I am shopping for a pork belly for this weekend's smoking gathering.

I am going to do it Memphis style with Corky's dry rub seasoning.

Will let you know if it was a hit or a miss.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boomie, see the Youtube link in the second post in this thread ... first eat a baby aspirin ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pork bellies in the fridge - couldn't stand to leave it's sister at Costco. Plus I am going to experiment with the Cuban hot oil treatment on one.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Boomie, see the Youtube link in the second post in this thread ... first eat a baby aspirin ...

hilbily

I think I posted that one before. That guy has one foot in the cardiac ward.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I agree. It's almost hard to watch ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skinny chefs scare me...

Anyhow, bacon is on the smoke as of 5:00 am. First beer at 5:00:30 am. The start of a stellar Fall day here in Atlanta.

Update - Smoked for 4 hours. Great bark. Paper wrapped and will smoke another 4 hours. Fat is rendering beautifully.

Will heat oil and crisp the skin on one.

Only an hour and a half'ish to go... Beer getting low. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished....

I would encourage all of you who like to smoke, to try smoked pork belly Cuban style. Crisping up the skin side with hot oil is beyond belief. The bonus is, I now have lots of bacon flavored Avocado oil for eggs tomorrow.

Life Is Good... Cool

Plus the girls did a beer run for us. beer

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Opus, as you should well know, NEVER, EVER allow the beer level to run low. REALLY, if the chef is not lubed, the meal is ruined. Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And God bless the little lady troopers that carried the necessities; they that deliver the beer also serve. salute

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote