Find
Notify
Tools

Sour orange pie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm a big Key lime fan, but this recipe and the Atlas Obscura article make me want to try the sour orange version. Years ago, when I cooked my first and only Cuban Christmas pig, the mojo called for sour orange, which was simply unavailable in Oregon, so I used orange and lime. It worked fine, but I have long wanted to try a real mojo some time.
Bet we have some Florida folks here who can get the real thing!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...39&mc_eid=8e1b7aaa56

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had an ex-sister in law that lived in Tampa; lots of cubano cooking but NOTHING Tex-Mex. Every area has their ethnic cooking but I'm sorry, my taste buds are spoiled. Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I think if you had been on hand when we pulled that Cuban pig off the coals, you would have managed to choke down a bite or two! Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill I've roasted a whole pig (and lamb) many times using a Cuban Caja China but I personalized the mojo marinade a little, my modification doesn't include oregano as I'm not keen on the flavor, I substitute Cilantro for the oregano and add Korean Bulgogi marinade which gives the meat just a little sweet/sour flavor. Multiple injections of the mojo marinade into the pig over a couple of days before roasting does wonders to tenderize and flavor the meat. Roasting a pig Cuban style isn't hard to do if you have the right equipment. It's a great way to entertain and delicious, people seem to appreciate the effort. And the Sour Orange Pie recipe looks very tempting.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jim, I have been tempted more than once to buy a Caja China. I built the pig roaster outlined here by the "Three Guys from Miami." Worked perfectly.

https://cuban-christmas.com/pi...-2&at_pos=1&at_tot=4

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A whole pig roaster at your disposal is a good tool to have in one's cooking arsenal, well done Bill, I like the cut of your jib.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You are so right Bill, I have eaten pig with Filipinos + they know how to do it!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That sour orange pie sounds amazing! tu2

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have a Persian coworker/friend and I am sure I have heard him talking about using sour orange so you may want to look in that direction for a source also.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That recipe looks wonderful.

– John Green, author