Find
Notify
Tools

Smell The Roasting Green
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Well Bill it should be in a parking lot near you by now.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Won't be long before the Hatch chile harvest begins. It's a great smell.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to it. So many recipes to try w/ those Hatch chilies!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
first and simplest recipe that we sometime make a meal out of.

place 1# of roasted, peeled and stem removed on a shallow oven proof pan
Make sure they are touching and works best if one alternates the to to bottom layout.
Sprinkle with garlic powder/granules to taste, then salt.
Lay on a healthy covering of cheese Cheddar is my preference.
Place in a 350-400 oven close to the element.
Heat/cook until the cheese melts and begins to brown.

Time to eat it.

As an alternative on can crumble cooked hamburger on the chile before adding the cheese.

Best with a couple of home made flour tortillas as you eat

Next up will be green chile venison stew, but it is really a winter meal so it may be a while, though this respite from the high temps and humidity sems like it is coming.

Still way too hot.

Challenge your limits

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A guy on the Everything New Mexico Facebook page posted just fresh-roasted Hatch chiles on a homemade tortilla, with nothing else. I will have to try this. I am starting to see roasters set up outside stores and in vacant lots, and Walmart had fresh Hatch for 75 cents a pound yesterday. It begins ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Remember the operative words are "Fresh & Homemade".

Ad some fried drained hamburger or fresh cooked drained pintos
lettuce
tomato
onion
touch of garlic
Any one, or a combo or none, but fresh green and tortilla.

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah its still too hot (temp wise) for a bowl of chili;we're still in triple digits W/ high humidity.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, the local Lowe's Market has Hatch chiles for $17 for a 25-pound bag, and they are roasting. The season has arrived.

https://lowesmarket.com/weekly-ad/alamogordo-nm/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My appologies Bill for speaking out of turn;we all know that there is nothing too hot for a Tejano.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, we are very near 100 here right now as well. That's about all the heat I am willing to deal with ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has Hatch done a wonderful marketing job, or what? There was no such thing as Hatch chiles when I lived a little bit south of there for ten years. Now just seeing or hearing those two words make my heart skip a beat.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sure have + HEB is a big part of their marketing strategy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, they have done a remarkably fine job of "branding." I am sure the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State has been a big help, as well.

https://cpi.nmsu.edu/

I drove through Hatch about a week and a half ago, and the pepper fields were gorgeous. I would have stopped at Sparky's for one of their fabulous, smokey green chile cheeseburgers, but I had just tried the one at the Owl Bar in San Antonio -- and found it pretty disappointing.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That's funny you mention that Bill. When I was a high school FFA kid, we traveled from northern NM to Las Cruces routinely for various events. Our ag teacher ALWAYS timed our travels such that we could stop at the Owl Bar for burgers. I remember them fondly. So much so that last fall, when my son hunted pronghorn up on the Stallion Range, I made a point of taking him and my dad there for burgers. They completely failed to live up to my recollections. Next time we'll hit the Buckhorn across the street.

Given the choice, I'd take Sparky's every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, over the Owl.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ram, I wanted to try the Buckhorn instead of the Owl, but of all things they are closed on Saturdays. I was really quite surprised at how ordinary the Owl GCCB was, considering their reputation as "legendary."
Sparky's is to die for, but next time I am near ABQ I m going to try the Laguna Burger, which is getting some very serious buzz.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
NMSU, a third rate university, but my alma mater. I don't rate them very high because:

1. They let me in.
2. They let me graduate.

Las Cruces was a good place to grow up. Got married there a few times. My best career move was leaving town.

Best college food; a little house back in the barrio. Sopapilla Compuesto was $.75, and that included a soft drink. Those were the days.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
NMSU, a third rate university, but my alma mater. I don't rate them very high because:

1. They let me in.
2. They let me graduate.

Las Cruces was a good place to grow up. Got married there a few times. My best career move was leaving town.

Best college food; a little house back in the barrio. Sopapilla Compuesto was $.75, and that included a soft drink. Those were the days.

Don't sell yourself short. You ain't THAT dumb. Luckily "ugly" was not in the mix. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did they rebuild the Buckhorn Bar?!! It burned down years ago with the hall of horns. Have'nt been to S.A. in years.That would be nice if so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Buckhorn is alive and well in San Antonio, NM. It is run by Bobby Olguin, son or grandson of the original owner. Much better than the Owl in my humble opinion.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one in San Antonio was a landmark.It even had several of Ad Tupperwine's shooting prints.Helluva loss.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Next time I am anywhere near San Antonio, I'm hitting the Buckhorn, and will report.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Bill. I would love to hear that they have rebuilt although I have not heard of any of that.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy: http://www.buckhornburgers.com/

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks anyway;not quite the same.The Hall Of Horns was impressive. For a while there was even Buckhorn beer crafted;it was not bad but that was in the mid 70's when Lone Star was pretty decent still back then.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, we had Buckhorn on the West Coast. Not sure if it was the same stuff. It was cheap, and that's about all I can say for it. Gato might have liked it, but he likes Bud.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,that's why they make Fords + Chevys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Have not you "furiners" heard of "CHILLE REYANOS" Many moons ago the Mexican people roasted chilles pealed them inserted a slice of goat cheese inside them, dipped them in a batter of flour and milk and fried them. Variations of sauce are poured over them. Every Mexican Resturant in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado serves them..Thats how the fried and peeled Pablano, Anihiem and Hatch Chile, made its debut in this world, Hatch being the best of the batch, Pablano second and the Anahiem is the worst as it tastes like water, but may be the choice of those not raised on HOT. To me the best chile is the hottest as it has the flavor..Scotch Bonnets and others are said to be hotter, but their flavor sucks IMO and a Jalapeno or any chile taken off water for a week or so before harvest is plenty hot for anyone.

Hatch Chilly, the holy grail of all things holy, Jalapenos are blessed by virgens..I live on hot chili on a daily bases..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote