New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 ga
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to duplicate the win aa super sport factory load @ 1300 fps Win aa hs hulls 3/4 oz. what powder and charge?

Buddy Roberts

Posts: 183 | Location: Bedford, Texas | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester probably uses proprietary powder mixtures to get those velocities. I believe Hogdon's longshot powder will give the highest velocities in the 28ga. Good luck and be careful. Daryl.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree on the Longshot.
I have reloaded the 28 ga for quite a few years, and use one load, AAHS hulls, Win 209, Longshot, CB 5034 wads, and 3/4 ounce of shot.
That's been an excellent load for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot HS6 for a skeet load , breaks them with authority. You should be able to reach 1300 fps with it

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, the only commonly available powder that will do what you want, with the components you specify is Alliant Pro-Reach, which is very hard to find right now. With this powder and your components there is a load or two which will reach 1350.

All the Hodgon powders, including Longshot, and there are only a few at this level, max out at 1275 fps with published data and fairly high pressures.

Frankly, I don't think you will ever be able to tell the difference between 1250 and 1300 fps and there are many loads that will get to 1250. You also will likely find that patterns at 1300 or more may not be as good as you'd like, which is not necessarily all bad, if, for instance, you're hunting woodcock in heavy cover.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for curiosity, I searched for pro reach. The only 2 that I could find that show it in stock are Lohman's in Houston (no wonder at about $10/lb more than most sources) and Reloading Unlimited which supposedly has 4 left in both single pound ($26) and 8 pound (8 pounds for $160, which is a decent price, but, of course there will be shipping and hazmat fees of about $47.50 for the 8 pounder).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I just started using HS6 for my pheasant loads last year but haven't chronoed them yet. I'm guessing they are close to 1300.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
I just started using HS6 for my pheasant loads last year but haven't chronoed them yet. I'm guessing they are close to 1300.

Probably not, unless you're over pressuring the loads. The fastest 3/4 oz load Hodgon shows for HS6 with the AAHS hull is 1200 fps with fairly high pressures.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Probably not, unless you're over pressuring the loads. The fastest 3/4 oz load Hodgon shows for HS6 with the AAHS hull is 1200 fps with fairly high pressures.

You are correct, I am over pressuring my loads. We have noticed that once you reach the 1250 to 1300 mark on .410 and 28ga. there seems to be a lot less cripples. You really get to see the difference when your shooting between 2500 to 5000 dove(Pigeons, Eurasians and morning) a year.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I use the old hulls

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use those hs6 skeet loads on decoyed Eurasians also, knocks them hard