New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a reduced recoil 20 ga load using Win AAs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for a mild 3/4 oz 20 ga load using Win AA hulls..?

I'm a casual sporting clays shooter and mostly use a 410, or sometimes a 28 ga. I shoot a couple hundred of those most weekends and reload those extensively.

My wife has started shooting with me using a 410, but now that she has gotten comfortable shooting, that 410 is obviously limiting for a new shooter. I have an old o/u 20 that I can fit with a shorted stock and would like break out my old MEC and start loading some reduced recoil 20 ga loads to get her where she is breaking more targets without getting sensitive to the kick.

I'd like to stick with AA hulls and Win209 primers - powder and wads can be the variables...

Thanks,
Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of routes you can take. The Current AAHS 20 ga hull has less internal volume than the older CF AA's. The Win WAA 20 OEM wad makes a perfect 3/4 oz. wad for AAHS hulls. Use the same powder drop as you would for your 7/8 oz. loads and cut back on the shot to 3/4 oz. The WAA 20 OEM wad will crimp fine, if you use the Clay Buster or Duster wad your crimps will dish but they will work.

The other route is to use the new Clay Buster's 1075 - 20 wad. It was designed for 3/4 oz. Data is included in the bag and on their web site.

The Win AAHS 20 ga hull can be a PIA to get good crimps and or to fit a full 7/8 oz. of shot. The best 2 wads I have found for 7/8 oz. is the OEM Rem RXP-20 and the Windjammer 20. Using a good amount of pre-crimp helps with the AA's.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have clarified that when I said AAs, I was referring to the current AA HSs.

I'll get some Clay Buster 1075s on order tomorrow and should be trying out reloads next week...

Regards,
Emory

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Little feedback on the Clay Buster 1075s and Unique loads...

I've loaded, and my wife has used, several hundred of the 1075 wads in the past few weeks. I'm real happy with ~16.0 grains of Unique, WIN AAHS and W209s. Clean sharp report, noticeably reduced recoil contrasted to target 7/8 oz loads, very effective on clays, and clean barrels after every hundred or so shots in a round.

It's been a few decades since I thought about reloading 20 ga. for cost considerations - this reduced recoil application is great!!

Thanks for the recommendations, Scout Master 54..!

Good hunting,