New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Mag loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I seem to have misplaced the data I had from many moons ago. I think it was old BPI data.

Recently I came across several pounds of old Win 571 powder, and as I recall they used to have a old short magnum load that was really good-
1 5/8 oz shot in a 2 3/4 hull with 571 that made right around 1300-1350 FPS.

Does anyone have that old data that they would not mind sharing, or am I just remembering stuff that was just not so?

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at Lyman's fourth Shotshell Reloading Manual, the only load that comes even close to that is using Federal Gold Medal hulls, a Winchester 209 primer, and either the Winchester WAA12R or RP 12 wad.

The charge load listed is 36.0 grains of HS-7 (which is the same as W571...), but there is a difference: the shot load is 1-1/2 oz, and velocities are 1288 and 1290 fps.

I have looked at the entire 12 gauge load data for 2-3/4" shells, and nothing else comes even close to the velocities you are looking for. Every other hull seems to stop at ~1150 fps with 1-1/2 oz. of shot. There is not a single load listing 1-5/8...

HTH

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw those, and they don't seem to be what I recall.

I have a box of old reloads that got wet that the label is blurry but what I can read states 1 5/8, NP 4, BP load and 1350 FPS, so I'm assuming it was some old BP data, and assuming it was 571 because my dad and uncle went thru that stuff by the keg.

I will try looking in my dad's stuff or emailing BP, but thanks for looking.

Yet another reason to keep a bound book of reloading records, I guess.

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are sure that is not 1-3/8oz of shot. That was my go-to load for ducks for many years. Recoil was stout in a light double.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have an old Winchester loading pamphlet that shows 1.5 Oz. loads in Federal Champion cases. Velocity is 1260 fps. Also shows an 1 3/8 oz. load at 1330 fps in the AA hull. Let me know if you want the specifics.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did find the load in an old BP manual my dad had.

They used Blue Dot.

So kind of back to the beginning..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful with BP data, I have seen high pressures with some of their listed loads. Take a look at Precision Reloading, I have never had any problems with any of their listed loads.
C.G.B.