New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bismuth shot source???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi: I'm looking for some Bismuth shot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Precision reloading carries it.

It is pretty spendy, though. That's where I brought mine last... looks like its doubled in price since then.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When does the patent run out ? (on using Bismuth to make shot ?)

If it does ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No clue about patents. I just figured someone would either know of a shop with some still in stock or maybe have a few pounds lying around in need of a new home.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you might have to make your own.

It's not that hard having been with someone who
was making it one day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the page from Precision. $168/6# bottle. Ouch.

http://www.precisionreloading....ry_Code=BISMUTH_SHOT

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered how they come up with the pricing. I know Bismuth Alloy has increased in price but ........ even way back when it wasn't.
it was still pricey as shot.

Maybe to encourage use they need to lower
the price so more people use it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also get Nice shot from Precision, same price as bismuth. I have not used it so have no idea how well it works. I wonder where Kent gets their tungsten-polymer shot or if they make it themselves? It works great.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to try anything as long as it's safe and legal. I was hoping there might have been some alternatives or maybe some old stock sitting around out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
When does the patent run out ? (on using Bismuth to make shot ?)

If it does ?

The John Brown patents on using Bismuth shot loaded in shotgun shells expired in 2010 [US Patent 4949644, and its international equivalents]. So the loading of such shells no longer requires payment of royalties to Brown's assignee, which was the Bismuth Cartridge Co.

However, there are still a couple of current patents, which cover some of the methods of producing Bismuth shot.

As far as I'm aware, the only current manufacturer of Bismuth shot is Eley Hawk in the UK, who have been part of the Maxam group [along with Rio, Saga and GB shotshell brands] for about 10 years now. That's where Precision Reloading source their product, and they seem to have an exclusive agency for it.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't reload bismuth just because the price difference between factory and reloads is so close that it just isn't worth the effort. I really don't know how they justify their 30$/lb for the stuff. If you are the only source I guess you can charge what you want. Raw metal prices are very high right now and it doesn't look like they are coming down any time soon.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is the metal price. It is just damn high for Bismuth billets.

Making the stuff is reasonably easy once you have the correct diameter holes for your shot maker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanker:
I'm willing to try anything as long as it's safe and legal. I was hoping there might have been some alternatives or maybe some old stock sitting around out there.

Try ITX 10.

It is nearly the specific density of lead, and soft enough for old barrels.

If you're using modern barrels, ITX13 is heavier than lead.

I've used Nice Shot but find it too pricy. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Just my shot costs to reload Nice were nearly as much as I can buy loaded Kent Tungsten Matrix for.

I've got enough shells for this duck season (Nice shot reloads, Kent Tungsten Matrix factory loads, and various steel loads) but plan to load a lot of ITX for next season

Posts: 63 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For modern guns, Bucks Run has HW-13 shot. It is heavier than lead. It is rounder than the old tungsten. It is a tungsten bronze alloy. The pellets are formed using a sintered metal process. They are very consistent and very round. I loaded a bunch for this season. Unfortunately the ducks never came.

The main problem is the shot sting is too short and the patten is too tight. It is very hard to hit with. When you do hit the duck gets hammered.

I shot a few boxes of bismuth years ago. I was not impressed at all.