Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun or reload issue
 Login/Join

posted
I am wondering if this is dumb luck or an issue with a gun style for reloaded shells?

I reload both 20 and 12 gauge hulls. It seems that all the reloads that I put in three different guns fire without issue (2 are remington 870's one 20G and 1 -12G, and one stoeger O/U 20G) but I see some occasional FTF or weak firings (some still break clays even though they go off with a thud rather than a bang) in my browning cynergy O/U.

Is this just some strange coincidence that I happen to grab shells that are not properly reloaded when using the cynergy (the lot of reloads would be somewhat randomized the way I do it and grab them) or should I be looking at the difference in the guns? What have others seen?

Chuck

Posts: 14 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the primers indented the same amount on the duds in the cynergy as they are in the other guns?
Perhaps you're firing pin springs are weak in the Browning.
Just thinking out loud here...

Matt
NRA Life Member
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

Posts: 47 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Intertesting thought! I will have to go shoot some (good excuse to shoot) and compare that. I guess my first thought would have been that if the primer fired, it did it's job and not to measure how much of a job that was. All of these guns are reasonably new (less than 6 months old) so I would hope that they are all functioning but one never knows.....

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I thought I had your answer until your wrote "cynergy". The bottom barrel on the Citori's are notorious for light firing pin strikes.

That said, top or bottom barrel (or both)? Are the firing pin strikes light (slight dimple?). If they are, you might have your loader set up to seat the primer a little to deep. Especially if you use a AA hull, or a Fiocchi primer, or a P/W loader.

Let us know your setup, and we might could make a better guess...... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I went out last night and I had no misfires on the cynergy but the 870 12G had 4 in 25 so it is the luck of the way they were picked. That means it is me and my reloading on that batch and not the gun (probably a good thing). Must have had a powder drop issue.

Set up are MEC 9000G loaders (both 12 and 20) on AUTO-MATE (I change them when I reload) using AA, ESTATE, and STS hulls, Federal 209A primers, 700X powder, Claybuster wads. These misfires have all been on AA gray hulls but that was what I loaded predominately on that reload session.

I had a powder baffle on but took it off on that session as I have had issues with the baffle not releasing powder so figured it would be no worse without it.

Thanks for the responses.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
700x meters pretty well, but a baffle is always good.

Double check the travel on your charge bar (both directions. If the bar doesn't return all the way, all the time, you'll have this sort of problem. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote