New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low-pressure 28ga loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found myself a nice old 28 gauge hammer gun, that has damascus barrels. I have recipes for blackpowder that are well within the confines of damascus pressures, but does anyone out there have a good recipe for 28 gauge ammo using nitro loads under 7000psi?
This is an old Isaac Hollis (Birmingham) gun. The chambers are 2 1/2". I have already gone out and test fired it with cutdown fiochi hulls, using a bpi roll-crimper. The gun fits me great, and I am busting up the clays excellent, but I just hate the mess of blackpowder!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
l

I am sure the RST products are good (actually had someone on a different forum recommend the same), but not worth the extra dollars and legal issues to get them shipped north of the border!
I need recipes for DIY reloads to be cost efficient on this one.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would check out Ballistic Products. They have several technical brochures, one that specifically details low pressure loads. They also have one on loading shortened hulls. They have always been a good source for such data.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I tried some low pressure 28 ga Blue Dot loads many years back but they were in standard 2.75" hulls. I think I got them out of Lyman's 3rd or 4th as I recall.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just made it to one of the local gunshows today. Found a supplier for BPI products with the latest edition (#6) for smallbore loads. Got what I need in there. 12.2 gr Longshot in 2 1/2 load with 3/4oz shot for 6900 PSI. Already got a few testloads made up.
Only travels 1000fps though, so may have have to learn to lead a bit more!