Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant Powder Shortage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted
Went to a gun shop that tends to be a honey hole for shotgun enthusiasts. Got some stuff, and remembered I am getting low on Red Dot. Asked for a lb, and was informed that they cannot get it!! Was also told that Unique is impossible to get right now.

Went to another gun shop down the road, that caters to SASS shooters, and was able to purchase 2 lbs, but was told the same thing... they are not getting their orders met.

Tonight, I went online, and searched for Alliant Powder Shortage, and found that in 2009, people were talking about the same thing... with the same powders... WTF?

I think I smell a skunk. thumbdown

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
No offence Mike but where have you been for the past year? Powders, primers, centerfire and rimfire ammo and bullets have been in nill supply for nearly 2 yrs now. There are numerous government conspiracy theories out there, consumer hoarding and rumored and actual production issues to account for it. Hodgdon has had a real supply issue getting Clays, International and Universal as ADI their supplier had a fire and has been unable to supply. This has put a lot of pressure on Alliant. One has to be vigilant checking the on line vendors and your local shops to find what you need. Often many of us make do with what we can find, rather than picking what we like.

I have been seeing more 9mm, .40, .45 and .223 centerfire these days showing up on shelves but .22 LR ammo is still scarce in many areas. It seem that primer supplies are improving but powder supply is still hit or miss. I doubt things will improve in the near term.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Scout Master, no offense taken.

It seems the area in PA where I live has extremely good supply lines for most any reloading components.

While we have seen shortages, or flat out unavailable items (like 155gr 40cal hollow points for the 40S&W), somehow we do not get hit with the full effects that other parts of the country experience.

During past shortages over the last 25 or 30 years, we did not experience the severity that other parts of the US experienced. In short, when things get tough around here, it's really bad everywhere.

For some reason, that seems to be changing with our local shops. I don't like it, but I do have hope that I can wait it out without too much inconvenience.

Mike

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Well, of late, there have been Alliant powders dribbling into my favorite gun shops. Red Dot, and Unique have been available, if I get it before they sell out. Things still are not where they should be, but it is getting better. Now, if I could just find some Winchester 22 mag ammo...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year I waited over six months for my jug of Alliant Promo powder to arrive. Don't forget one man's 'hoarding' is another man's 'stocking up'. Depends upon whose ox is being gored...

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
CLEAR.. but true

Posts: 6346 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things are tough for those who wait til they are out of powder before they start looking for more. I try to keep at least a 1 year supply in stock.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anytime there is a good possibility that the Democrats are going to win the White House there will be a severe shortage of powder and primers because of hording. I suspect it has already started. But unlike last time, I won't let it happen to me this time!!!!!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Anytime there is a good possibility that the Democrats are going to win the White House there will be a severe shortage of powder and primers because of hording. I suspect it has already started. But unlike last time, I won't let it happen to me this time!!!!!

Then it indeed has already started...
But on a sadder note; if the Dems win the Whitehouse this time, and the 2-4 Supreme Court Justices who will be replace in that timeframe, I think Freedom's bell will be silenced on the Second Amendment. It will take some time but it would be coming. However; Our Freedom comes from God, "We are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights..."
So; Keep your Eyes on the Horizon. The end of this world is not the end of His World.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Elmer,

My local Walmart has had two different kinds of 22WMR in stock for as long as I've been watching them...

Lehighton Walmart has never been short of 22MAG
The've always had it at the Whitehall PA store when I've bothered to look....

The problem I've had has been catching up to 22LR at Walmart

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Fury,in response to your comment on the Liberty Bell,I give you hope in the words of Leonard Cohen.There is a crack in everything,that's how the light gets in. Listen to the whole song.Actualy listen to ALL his music.Worth while.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I will do a search and give it a listen Sir!
Thank you!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Found it. Yes Sir. Agreed.