New
Find
Notify
Tools

7/8 oz load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What powder/charge you useing for that 7/8oz load?

I have a bunch of 12 ga 1 oz loads with 19.5 gr clays 1290fps I was loading

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What hull, wad and primer do you want to use? I use the Downrange XXL orange wad in any straightwalled hull, 616's and 19 gr. of Promo (about 1250). Alternatively, a tapered hull, WJII wad, 616 and 20.5 grains of American Select. That's a good load for the wife's gasser. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was useing the pink 1oz claybuster wad. WW primers

I have tons of AA hulls and tons of newer AA hulls that I havent examined yet.

Even have a bunch of old blue peters hulls.

Also was useing some Rem sts/premiers

No biggy, I dont have a 7/8 oz charger bar for my mec anyway Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Charge bars are cheap. Lead is expensive.

In the AA/STS hulls, the grey Winchester wad (or clone) or the pink Downrange wad would be the way to go. Check with Larry's in Nampa when you get a chance. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
I use TGT12 with the STS hulls for 7/8 load and 19 gr of Clays.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm far from an expert but THIS has worked out quite well....

CURRENT AA HS hulls
18.6 of Claydot (MEC 33)
Green duster wad
Fiochi 209

The HS hulls are a bit smaller in internal capacity than the old AA's. Use a minimal amount of wad pressure and the 7/8 oz load then fills the case pretty well. Crimps are nice and strong.

I guess at some point I will try some dedicated 7/8 oz wads. With shot at $40 + per bag we may be headed to 3/4 oz pretty soon!!

Fn in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the grey Winchester wads and 15.5 gr. of Red Dot or 15.8 gr. of Hodgdon Titewad in either Winchester AA or Remington hulls. I try to match the primer to the hull -- Winchester in Winchester and Remington in Remington, but they can be interchanged with no noticeable difference. This produces a load that reaches about 1150 f.p.s. muzzle velocity.

This is used for skeet; you don't need more power than that for skeet.

This load is too mild to cycle many autoloaders, but it works very well in an O/U. It would also work in a SxS or pump.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote