New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 ammo loaded with 444 marlin brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a load for the 410 using 444 marlin brass if so would you be kind enough to pass it on

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a good reduced load for the .444 Marlin with 250 gr cast bullets. Is it acceptable to shoot these in a .410 smooth bore shotgun?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ledvm,
I was actually after a shot load for the 410 using 444 brass

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plastic wads may be too loose in a brass case, but some use them.

Or you can use the old card and cushion type wad column. Available from Forbes Wholesale [Circle Fly brand], or it's easy to make your own, with an 11mm Boker wad punch. 2-3mm solid cardboard overpowder wad, carpet underlay felt cushion wad/s, and wine cask box overshot wad are the go. You need the overshot wad anyway, in a brass case.

By the way, some use blown out [fireformed] 9.3x74R rifle brass, to fit 3" loads.
Or .303 Brit, for a short shell.

I know a few of the blokes over at AHN [www.australianhunting.net] have had a play with all of these shell lengths. The search engine there finds .410 threads OK too, unlike 20ga. Search in the 'Shotgun' and 'Reloading' forums there.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote