Find
Notify
Tools

Brass height ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does it make a difference?

I was looking at some Cheddite hulls at Grafs, and they list 8mm, 16mm, and 25mm brass heights.

Just curious if there is a strength difference, or if it's more for indentification.

thanks

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak specifically to Cheddite hulls, but the brass height in other brands (Win/Rem/Fed) is irrelevant to hull strength and loads used.
"High brass", if ever necessary, is now nothing but marketing.
Activ totally eliminated the external brass; they incorporated a steel ring into the rim, just to give the extractor something to grab onto.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
does it make a difference?

No.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:

"High brass", if ever necessary, is now nothing but marketing.

Agreed on the marketing part. High brass, I am told, started in the days of paper hulls. With heavy loads the powder would come up to the brass/paper junction, and burn through after a reload or two. Raising the brass above the powder level solved that problem.

Hardly relevant, these days. FWIW< Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote