New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 366 press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Hornady 366 press and for the most part am satisfied. With that said, I do have an issue with hulls getting crushed at the wad seating station. I've collected a couple of thousand rounds of once fired Remington Gun Club hulls...I was told they are the same hulls used in the STS rounds.

The petals on the wad seater are intact, so I'm wondering what's the issue? Does this appear to be a press setup or hull problem?

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the wads are starting to push through the "wad guide fingers" before the wad fingers are fully inside the shot shell case.

I checked my 366 presses, and I have about 1/8" clearance between the top of the hull and the bottom of the wad guide holder. You just need enough clearance so that the top of the hull doesn't touch the wad guide holder when the hulls are rotated.

You might also check wad seating rod. With one piece plastic shot cup/wads you just need the wad firmly seated on top of the powder, you don't need XX lbs of pressure like the old fiber wads. Adjust your wad seating rod so that it only fully seats the wad on top of the powder. If this rod is set too long, it will start pushing the wad through the guide fingers before the fingers are fully inside the hull, and it will start crushing the cushioning web in the wad. At the bottom of the loading stroke of the handle, there should just be enough pressure seating the wad to slightly move the pressure gage below the wad seating station.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Alf_Hart
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone
Just joined and do a bit of cartridge reloading I have a Pacific Press for both shot and powder that I no longer use and at the moment Its just sitting in ny gunroom, need to get shut of it really if you know anyone who is after a Pacific press with all the different loadings bushes etc let me know.
Thanks Alf

Drive the truth home

Posts: 8 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote