New
Find
Notify
Tools

3.5" heavy coyote loads #4buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently came across some 3.5" turkey hulls and want to use them for heavy coyote loads for calling. Has anyone loaded #4buck with 50+ pellets? if so what was your recipe? I believe winchester makes a 3.5" round with 54 pellets. I weighted 50 #4's and it was over 2.5oz! Or is there some formula for developing a load with this heavy of a payload? thanks!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I believe ballistic Products has data for 2.5oz. loads. I'll check later.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any info you can find would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
matt
p.s. i hope to find info for blue dot as that is what i have and plan to use...

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
That sounds about right for heavy loads.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary,
let me know if you find any load data. i was not able to find anything on ballistic products website...
thanks again,
matt

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
We have very good luck with ordinary #4 birdshot. There are 135 pellets per ounce versus only 21 for #4 buck. Stops 'em like a head0n with a Mack truck.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ideal load would have T shot, which is .200" i would also use lead BB, but i found 25# of 4 buck for cheap. T shot is hard to find, my friends have a littleton shot maker. i may have to find out if we can get the parts for it to make bb shot or if it is even possible with that machine. I don't think i want to use anything smaller than 2 shot tho. i think 4 shot would have a hard time dropping a coyote running away @50 yards. i could be wrong tho!
thanks for the info Tigger!

One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
I load up a heavy 3.5" coyote load with BP components. It uses 2oz of nickel plated F shot, fully captured in a thick wad with buffering. Out to 50yds, it's proven very devastating on several coyote. It provides a much better, tighter and more evenly distributed pattern than factory #4 buck, which uses no wad and garbage buffering. There's no comparison. PM me if you're interested in the recipe.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I played with heavy buckshot loads in my 10 ga 3.5"
but it seems like I reached a point that to much no 4's and not enough buffer room gave poorer patterns. likely from banging each other up to much. Plated shot and better buffers would help with that though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other factor is screw in chokes. If your shotgun is so equipped just pattern at 50 yds with each choke.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote