THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Shotshell Reloading    Paradox loading for 12 gauge 2.75-inch plastic cartrdges?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paradox loading for 12 gauge 2.75-inch plastic cartrdges?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having acquired my first shotgun in more than a generation, I am interested in either buying ammunition, or handloading solid projectiles into roll crimped or star crimped 12 gauge 2.75-inch cases. While I refer to this ammunition as "Paradox," that's a mislabeling. Paradox ammunition had its projectile-loaded all-brass cases much longer than a conventional 12 gauge 2.75-inch roll- or star-crimped cartridge. I refer to bulleted 12 gauge 2.75-inch overall length cartridges. I am specifically ruling out any version that uses a sabot with reduced diameter projectile. I am ruling out conventional 12 gauge projectiles with its extreme hollow base. I am interested only in projectiles that are in the .715-inch through .735-inch range - about 12 gauge's bore size, more or less.

A - What commercial manufacturer offers such 2.75-inch ammunition?

B - Has any of you created handloaded ammunition similar to what I seek? If you have, please describe it in detail.

C - Has any of the cartridges identified or described in "A" or "B" been fired in fully rifled barrels rather than the 2-3 inches of rifling of a Paradox barrel?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting questions.

What shot gun will you make up to a rifle (doublerifle ?) in 12bore?..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Worthwhile replies. Many thanks, guys. The shotgun is a nearly new Winchester Model 97. Despite its complexity when compared with currently made pump shotguns, it has a record of being exceptionally reliable. Its locking system is among the most durable of all shotguns. I selected it because it has an exposed hammer that has a half-cock quick safety. I also had its firing pin assembly changed. Its firing pin now rests away from a loaded cartridge's primer, so "hammer down" on live cartridge is as safe as that situation with a Colt Model 1911 pistol.

The slug appears to be remarkably similar to my custom conical for my .72-caliber English-style muzzleloading rifles. Mine has two large lubrication slots and weighs 775 grains at 30:1 casting mix. Its obvious potential problems are its three-diameters that taper to improve muzzleloading - from top-to-bottom .731inch ending at .725 inch. With your recommendation I'll pick up some and try my conicals as well.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used plastic cases for my 12 gauge choke-rifled Cogswell&Harrison Cosmos. Had acquired a Paradox tool that effectively crimps the plastic case into the waist of a Fosberry projectile of .735 in. in diameter and 740 grains weight. No problem assembling cartridges, but could not get the barrels to regulate. Believe I used Longshot powder.

Have sent emails to serious smiths to see if they are willing to work at regulating the Coggie for modern H&H paradox rounds.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!
Chapter 14: Paradox guns- Shooting the British Double Rifle by Graeme Wright details hand loading for the Paradox and shooting results.
Excellent info.
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote