New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 and 410 hulls?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for 28 ga. and 410 hulls for Skeet shooting, preferably once fired. Anyone have any ideas? I Googled it and found only old ads. I use Win AAs.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
These are not often seen around. Good luck!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I know. Where is a good place to buy factory ammo? I may just have to do that.
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
These days with the subgauges hard to find and the price at $.15 each or more when you do, I find I am farther ahead to buy a flat or two of what I need and shot them for the hulls as I need them. That way I get the value of the first firing plus the value of the empty hull.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Peter.
I've always used Grafs But I have heard really good things about CAC Associates

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Trapshooters.com look under the Discussion Forum and then go the to forsale items. There are several people selling 410 and 28 ga hulls.

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips/suggestions. I am following up on all of them.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oker often has empties on their auction, but they are expensive.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

quote:

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This whole process has been an education for me. I have found someone who will sell me some Win AA HS 28ga and 410 hulls.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, there is an annual glut of them coming up in the next few weeks. I was slow on the switch last year and lost out at 10 cents each for the small gauges. Keep in contact with me and I will tell you where to order (once I get a few thousand myself). They had Win AA HS and Rem STS last year at the same price. And their total number of hulls (12 ga thru 410)was in the hundred thousands, which might give a clue to the source.

BTW, I remember your signature saying from The Kingdom of Heaven, but was the oringinal origin of it?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quote was from the movie "Kingdom of Heaven". Good movie! Liam Nielson (Godfrey of Ibelin) says it when he is knighting his son. You should be able to get it from your local library. Yes, please let me know, when you hear about these. I am interested in the Win AAs as I understand that the Rem STS's get fewer reloads. I will send you a PM.
Thanks, Peter.

posted Hide Post
Don't know if you are still checking the thread but Gunbroker.com often has them for fairly cheap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a skeet range where a NSSA registered skeet shoot is held -- a 4-gun shoot that has 12, 20, 28, and 410 events in it -- you can sometimes pick up 28 and 410 hulls there after the shoot as some shooters do not reload and throw their hulls on the ground. It's an iffy proposition, however, as more and more people are realizing that the empty hulls are valuable. But over the years (10 or more) I've managed to pick up enough such hulls that I now have enough to load maybe 30 boxes each of 28 and 410 loads. Sometimes if you let shooters who are shooting factory loads know that you'd like their empties if they do not save them, they'll give them to you after such a shoot.

An active skeet range will also sometimes have shooters who are shooting 28 and 410 in practice sessions and not picking up their hulls.

It's easy to pick up all the 12 and 20 gauge hulls you'll ever need. But the smaller sizes are much more difficult. Furthermore, as far as I know none of the ammo companies sell reduced-cost 28 and 410 loads, such as the Remington Gun Club loads for 12 and 20 gauges.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks LE but it turns out that the top shooters who get their ammo free from the manufacturers are also keeping their hulls and selling them, themselves. I did get some 410 and 28 ga, hulls that should last me for a while, then I will just buy ammo and reload the hulls.
Peter

posted Hide Post
Peter
Try gunbroker.com. They usually have hulls of various sorts sometimes 410 & 28 ga

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did check. They tend to be priced unrealistically. I did pick up 500 410 and 500 28ga. so that should keep me going for quite a while.
Peter.