Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can MEC 650 be used single-stage?
 Login/Join

posted
Had a MEC 650 land on my reloading bench at a better-than-right price. Have reloaded metallic for more than thirty years, but only dabbled in shotshell reloading.

Can this 650 be used by running only one hull at a time through the process--or will the charge bar dump powder and shot with every pull of the handle?

I'm getting close to permanently retiring and have no need to rush or get in a hurry anymore, so speed isn't my concern--safety, accuracy and consistency is.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recluse, It has been quite a while since I have owned one but memory tells me that you can. You will have to remove the primer feed spring to keep it from dropping a primer at each station. I don't know why you would do it single stage though. It is just as safe, accurate and consistent operating at full speed which is 6 times the speed of manual. There is no magic or mystical music going on when you reload. I enjoy it but I have two very fast machines and I have had single stage and they are monotonous and boring. I can find a lot better things to do with my time.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote