New
Find
Notify
Tools

#8 Heavy-Shot 410 3"/#6 in 16ga
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody putting up loads of this nature? I believe a 410 would be great for ducks over decoys. I would also like to find Heavy Shot loads for a 16ga. I shot #6 in 12ga for geese over decoys--it was great. Now I want to do it with my 16.

Thanks

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only loaded Hevi shot in 12 ga great stuff. As long as you can afford it. The people at Balistic products would be the ones that would know if loads for the 410 and 16 are available.

I always thought 7/8 of of hevi shot 7s in my 20 gauges would be a great duck load. Just have not got around to doing it.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found Hevi loads for 16 and 410. The problem is the shot size available is all wrong for the gauge. The 16s are #6 which is ok, but the 410s are loaded with #4. My personnal belief is that 410s are at their best with significantly smaller shot. I would never use larger than #6 in a 410. #8 or #9 would be ideal considering the small case volume. I have used a reamer on the muzzles of several single shot 410s with great success. Open up to somewhere between cylinder and modified works great. Anybody that has not used Hevi on geese doesn't know what they are missing. Forget the 10ga, forget the 3 and the 3.5 in 12. Two and three-quarter in 12s with 1oz of #6 will cleanly kill geese at a distance I cannot put into print for fear of the bull$Ht flag flying from folks that have never experienced Hevi. I will say positively I will never use shot larger than #4 Hevi on waterfowl---it is not necessary.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of NV Guide
posted Hide Post
I have loaded hevi in the 410 and the 28. 1/2 oz in the 410 and 7/8 in the 28.

I agree with you that #4 is large enough and maybe too much. I limit myself to #5 and most is done with 7 1/2.

Send me a PM if you want the load data. It was tested by Hodgdon.

Dennis

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with hevishot and am wondering if 6's would be about right for pheasants in a 28 gauge? I'm really coming to love the 28. And that's saying a lot because of my adoration for the 16.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of NV Guide
posted Hide Post
I would use 7 1/2 or #6's if they were way out there. A 7/8oz load in the 28 is amazing on ducks and geese.

Guess it works well for swans too.

Dennis

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Have you got a recipe for a 7/8 oz 28 ga load? I called Ballistic Products and they wouldn't tell me anything other than there were no wads made for hevi-shot in the 28 and no plans to make any. Roll Eyes Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put a recipe out on the open forum. Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a better price on Hevi-shot than Ballistic Products? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I used NV Guide's load data for the 28 gau load this year

With #7 shot

I baged a number of ducks

I was using a O/U and shot Skeet and IC
And limmited my shots to 30 yds or less
Of the birds I hit , not one lost cripple
As most birds were dead when they hit the water

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
IMO 7 Hevi is more than enough for pheasants

With #6 loads I tested
Pattern densety was a slight problem past 25 yds

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Does anyone have a better price on Hevi-shot than Ballistic Products? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy