The Accurate Reloading Forums
WAA41 vs WAA410HS wads for the 410

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/8011013542

04 September 2018, 23:53
drj
WAA41 vs WAA410HS wads for the 410
I have been loading AA hulls for the 1/2 oz 410 on my Spolar. Currently using WAA410HS wads. May soon have access to a large quantity of Remington hulls (gold ones). I know I will need to reduce my powder charge (currently using Lil Gun) but the load data I have seen published lists the WAA41 wad for the Remington hull, not the WAA410HS wad, although the other wads listed for the Remington hulls are the same wads they list for the AA. Are the two Winchester wads interchangeable?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"
05 September 2018, 10:53
Ray B
When Winchester transitioned to the HS hull and wads they claimed that the same load data could be used. I haven't used up my supply of the old style, either hulls or wads so I don't have any of the new to visually compare. I don't know that I'd take Winchesters word for it without a side-by-side check of the wads.
05 September 2018, 21:36
Lamar
the HS is more of a straight wall hull, it just has that tapered insert at the bottom.
your putting in enough powder to basically cover the end of the taper and then set the wad down on top.

I would probably not use the HS wad in the Remington unless I cut open a hull and measured the interference fit.
I know using the Winchester orange wad in the rem hulls will raise pressures quite a bit [in 12 ga]
with all the new combinations available I have got so I start measuring components before trying to assemble them.
13 September 2018, 05:32
Peter
Not sure what the issue is. I use HS wads in Winchester HS hulls only. I use the regular Claybuster wads for non HS Winchester hulls and Remington hulls. My Remington's are green however. Not sure what the gold ones are. I do not change my powder charge at all.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;
02 July 2020, 22:46
samir
I have loaded over 100,000 .410 shells with green hulls,HS, AA’s old style, black ones. Let’s just say if they make it I’ve loaded it. I mix wad and primer and always add an extra grain of powder to get close to 1300 fps and NEVER had an issue. Same with 12 ga hulls. I have shot all my loads out of Brownings. Not sure if I’d shoot my loads out of cheap pot metal shotgun. I’m not recommending this but it’s worked for me. My friend has had his .410 browning xs pop open a few times because of too hot a load but no gun damage. If you see that I’ve stoped posting you know what’s happened Wink

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE
18 June 2022, 23:06
Jerry Eden
I find, the Winchester red (HS) wad does not give very good crimps in AA hulls. I stick with claybuster for loading AA 410'S. Some in my family load Remington hulls with the claybuster wad with fine success. None of us load the HS Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member
19 June 2022, 03:24
eagle27
I've recently reloaded some 20G shells using Winchester HS hulls and Claybuster CB1075-20 Winchester style wads for both 3/4oz and 7/8oz loadings.

The CB1075 wad is identical to the CB1078 wad except has a raised dimple in the base of the wad cup to take up some room to help give a good crimp with the lighter charge. With the powder I'm using I find the CB1075 wad works well with the 7/8oz load.

The HS hulls have a plastic tapered base wad skived into the straight sided walls of the hull so the CB wads (and I presume Winchester AA wads if you use them) will slip past the junction and down into the base wad on top of the powder if the powder level is below the HS hull base wad.

I tested this out with empty hulls and with various powder charges to ensure the wad would be pressed down onto the powder charge without damaging the wad skirt as will often happen with other straight walled hulls with a protruding edged on the hull base wad.

Loading other branded straight walled hulls with the CB wads above I could see that the wad did not seal well in these hulls and powder migrated up past the wad base of the shell if it was inverted. Not good for ballistic performance.

The CB wads in the Win HS shells seal tightly into the hull base wad preventing any powder migration.

BTW these Win HS hulls have a brass base, not brass washed steel, but it seems to be a tougher brass compared to the old style Winchester compression formed hulls.
I had to size these HS case as a separate step rather than allow the sizing at the same time as final crimp as my Lyman Easy Loader press does otherwise the very hard ejection from the crimp/sizing die saw the crimps far too deep.

I imagine the HS - high strength feature of these Winchester HS hulls comes from less annealed brass. Don't know why that was necessary as the original compression formed hulls were great.