Find
Notify
Tools

Brass hulls, black powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Looking to load some Magtech hulls with BP and No. 5 for use on turkeys. I have the proper 11 and 10 gauge wads, but have had issues trying to seal that overshot card to stand up to recoil. Anyone have a favorite technique and or load for use in these shells?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though I have hulls and blackpowder I haven't yet looked into actually loading as I need the other components. However the recommended sealant seems to be eisinglas(s) which is supposed to be available at larger art stores.

On the other hand it might be possible to schmoozle in a bead of latex adhesive caulk with a radius swept in with a flat tipped chopstick.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Real silicone in the foil tube. Not the stuff in a caulking guns.Put a dab in the mouth against the overshot card and with a wet fingertip smooth it around the edge so it forms to the brass. I do this with plastic hulls too and no problems.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gosh, looks I need to try schmoozling real silicone ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The traditional water glass, sodium silicate was available in drugstores and farm supply houses, and was much cheaper than model airplane cement, (and more traditional).
Nowadays I suggest white glue or resorcinal, as it comes in a handy applicator.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I only used white Elmer's glue for over shot cards on my 10 & 12 bore loads. Works just fine, just leave enough case wall above the shot card to get a filet bead of glue, let dry.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having the shell holder adapter for the RCBS rockchuck press, i made a roll crimp die with 16ga nitro cards and sealed with water glass. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote