New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between Federal 209 and 209A? What are Remington 57 used for? What are Alcan 220 used for? The Alcans say they are a 209 sized primer.

Thanks

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
What is the difference between Federal 209 and 209A? What are Remington 57 used for? What are Alcan 220 used for? The Alcans say they are a 209 sized primer.

Thanks

Federal 209 is more mild than the newer 209A. In fact the newer 209A is probably one of the hottest primers out there along with the RIO.

You could probably find some data for the older 209 in the Lyman's 1st-2nd shotshell reloading editions.

The Remington 57 primers were typically used in the older 28 gauge hulls. They would probably be too small for any current hulls and would fall out.

Alcan 220 primers are "hot" like the Federal 209A. They should be OK to use if you reload with data not approaching max pressure and use Fed 209A data. There are some old Alcan reloading manuals out there if you can find them. I'm sure you could find some Red Dot recipes too.

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote