Find
Notify
Tools

700X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I have about 5 lbs of 700x I need to shoot up...anyone have any loads they've worked up that might not be published? I've gone to 1 oz and 7/8 oz 12 ga loads and also load for 410 3", 28ga, and 16 ga. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're plenty of published loads at www.imr.com with 700X for 7/8th & 1 ouncers (12 ga.). I use CB-0178-12's for 7/8th and CB1100-12's for 1 ouncers. However, 700X is a little "dirty" in the 7/8th's, works better in the 1 ounce loads. I use Titewad in the 7/8th oz. loads also, a lot cleaner (faster powder). It may work in 16's, not the others. Check it out.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Gimpy,

Thanks for your reply. I looked several years ago and didn't check sources again before I asked! Guess I'm getting kinda old in my lazy age. Cool I bet I can find a 16 ga 1 oz load it will work in.

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy, unless you can read Korean, try www.imrpowder.com! Boy, I hate givin' wrong dope.

Well, this link's not working right for me, but the addy is correct.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gimpy:
Hey Andy, unless you can read Korean, try www.imrpowder.com! Boy, I hate givin' wrong dope.

Well, this link's not working right for me, but the addy is correct.[/QUOT

Perhaps www.imrpowder.com
will work. thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where 'bouts are you down there? My Dad lives in Roswell. Been there about a year and a half. We've yet to get down there to see him.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Lovington is about an hour and a half east-southeast of Roswell close to the Texas line. Where's Kooskia? I usta live in Cd'A for awhile.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kooskia's on the Clearwater River about 75 miles ESE of Lewiston , a coupla hundred miles S. of Cd'A, and @125M W. of Missoula. Beautiful place, man. Been here coming up on 2 years.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
We did a bit of whitewater rafting over by Riggins a few years back...beautiful area. I still haven't made it back for cast & blast in September yet!

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
AC,

I've used 700X w/ the pink AA wads and Win 209s in AA hulls w/ IMRs listed loads.

They make great rounds for the field. Quick and effective on dove. I tried 9s and 8s and had about equal success on game but the 9s don't have the punch for clay pigeons.

I brought a batch of 9s to a shoot years ago and got beat by one fella that I tied. They had us back up in about 5 yard increments from a L-R station until we broke our tie. when we got back a piece he beat me. I knew I was on during that shoot so a few days later I set up a very similar scenario w/ a friend and when I moved back to the same distance I quit breaking the birds. It was a head scrather for sure until we started cleaning up and I picked up the unbroken birds from the field. They all had lead streaks all over them but they weren't broken. The 9s just don't have the punch on out there to break the birds. That fella beat me because he was using 7.5s but, it was fun anyway.

I only use the 9s for dove now as they seem to have plenty of punch for them.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

I tried 9s and 8s and had about equal success on game but the 9s don't have the punch for clay pigeons.

It depends on which clay pigeon game you are shooting.

For American skeet, 9 is better because it gives a denser pattern and your distance from gun to the bird is not great enough that the shot has lost its velocity/energy when it gets to the target.

For trap shooting, 9 is too small, as the distance from gun to target is greater and the shot may have lost its velocity/energy sufficiently that it will not break the target when it gets to it. So for trap 8s are much better.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 7.5s for all trap shooting even 16 yds as wind is often a factor and I hate a scored loss for any reason.....hate dusting them and no breaks too....with 7.5s the dead birds are dead!
Use 8s for skeet and sometimes 8.5s.

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote