New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun primers difference between
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the difference between a Rem 209P and a Cheddite or a Winchester 209? Can they be interchanged, I can not find Rem 209p AT MY LOCAL STORE?

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you're loading, full power hunting loads or light target loads.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
In the last 12 years I have accumilated 87 shot bags behind my main 12ga reloader. @ 450 7/8oz loads per bag, that's alot of reloads. I freely exchange Win 209, CCI 209, Cheddite and Fiocchi without any worry. I have never used Remington primers simply because I've never seen any for sale. People have told me over the years that Rem 209's are a "colder" primer but that's only hear-say. Over the last few years I have tended to go with the Federal 209-A primers because they seem to get things going alot faster up here in the damp and cold Pacific N.W. And everything I read about them says that they are much "hotter" and loads should be loaded down accordingly. Realistically my target loads use moderate burning powder, American Select, Scot Royal-D, Solo 1000 with 7/8 charges of shot and I do not see any differance with reguards to pressure signs or hull life. My three Browning superposed and BT-99 guns are all still very tight and aren't showing any signs of shooting overloaded ammo. Once you start using the cheddite primers in a hull you need to stick with them as long as you load those hulls as they are slightly larger and the Win and CCI
& Fed primers will be loose is used after the Cheddites. Fiocchi's are larger as well. If you are loading turkey or goose loads or anything that iwould be considered "top of the scale" loads then you should adhere exactly to the listed load.
I hope some of this helps.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SxS-boy:
In the last 12 years I have accumilated 87 shot bags behind my main 12ga reloader. @ 450 7/8oz loads per bag, that's alot of reloads. I freely exchange Win 209, CCI 209, Cheddite and Fiocchi without any worry. I have never used Remington primers simply because I've never seen any for sale. People have told me over the years that Rem 209's are a "colder" primer but that's only hear-say. Over the last few years I have tended to go with the Federal 209-A primers because they seem to get things going alot faster up here in the damp and cold Pacific N.W. And everything I read about them says that they are much "hotter" and loads should be loaded down accordingly. Realistically my target loads use moderate burning powder, American Select, Scot Royal-D, Solo 1000 with 7/8 charges of shot and I do not see any differance with reguards to pressure signs or hull life. My three Browning superposed and BT-99 guns are all still very tight and aren't showing any signs of shooting overloaded ammo. Once you start using the cheddite primers in a hull you need to stick with them as long as you load those hulls as they are slightly larger and the Win and CCI
& Fed primers will be loose is used after the Cheddites. Fiocchi's are larger as well. If you are loading turkey or goose loads or anything that iwould be considered "top of the scale" loads then you should adhere exactly to the listed load.
I hope some of this helps.

Joe

+1

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd advise a bit of caution. Shotguns don't show overpressure signs like rifles - no cratered primers, no flattened primers etc. Any manuals I've ever seen caution against component substitutions. Before I swapped anything I'd go to the powder manufactures website and look through the load data. You're probably ok - but there are listed loads that have very different pressures with no changes other than the primer.
Hodgdon and Alliant both have pretty good load data information available on-line. I have also emailed Alliant technical services and asked about a primer substitution that wasn't in the online data and got a response within a couple of days.

Chart of priemr sizes:

Posts: 19 | Location: Montana | Registered: 03 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
On my trap loads I've used Win, Fed, Foic, and CCI. I never saw a bit of difference. I just bought what the gun club had----Same as all the other shooters. No one ever had a problem I knew off. I shot my reloads for league, practice and registered shoots. Never a problem from 16 to 27 yard line. I used @ 17 grains of clays or 700X-----1 1/8oz of shot. AA hulls.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote