New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington cases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,I have a bunch of old black Rem cases in both high and low brass.Actually it looks more like copper or some type of coating,whatever.I haven't been able to find any info on these.Does anyone know anything about them or where I can find some load info.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How old are the cases? Assuming you are talking about a 12 Ga.,the only black hulls that Remington has made for a number of years are the "game loads" - they load & shoot very well using Premier/STS data.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The black ones are good as are the STS's.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Fiber bases , looks sort of like compressed fine saw dust ?

If so
I would toss them
As they had a nasty habbit if the base wad being partly blown out by the force of the first firing
And sitting around , the bases tend to fall apart
This causes a great internal differance from hull to hull
Parts or the whole base wad can come out and lodge in your barrel

Not worth the chance of damage to you or your gun

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Johnch is correct, look inside and see if the base wad is pressed fiber. Rem in the late 70's & early 80's offered a line of "promo" shells called Mohawk and Phesant & Rabbit loads. They were black ribbed plastic in 12 & 16 ga and had a copper like wash to the brass. Most all had the fiber base wad and they almost all used the Rem 57* primer - which is smaller than the current 209 (.227" vs .244"). The data for these is out there if you have some old Lyman's or other. BUT IMO toss them, the reloading life was poor and it's not worth the effort when there are so many good hulls out there currently for the scrounging. Any current production Rem hull: STS, Nitro 27, Gun Club, Shur Shot, Game Load, Sport Load (green, gold or black) all use the STS data and will give you 8 - 10 quality reloads with lots of data available.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check the base wad but I think you guys are right about them being fiber.Me and my friends bought quite a few boxes as the price was right and they worked fairly well.I have the new Lyman manual and an older copy from around the time I bought these loads but neither has any info on them.To bad though since I have quite a few.Thanks all!

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have some data but you will need some special Rem wads that will cost you, & you need Rem 57* primers (not made since the mid 80's). You may find that stocking up to load them will cost you more than it's worth.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington black hulls with the copper colored bases were the only shells I can remember using that didn't feed into my gun. Hated the damn things. Throw em all!

*Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid*

Posts: 80 | Location: Paha Sapa, SD | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afraid I'm just going to have to toss them.I hate to do it since I've got around 300/once fired hulls but since they no longer make the primers I don't see any choice.Thanks anyway!