Find
Notify
Tools

Home made shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo Everybody
I am always tinkering and I try to save money as far as I can seeing that things are a little expensive when it comes to the shooting game here in South Africa.
I was wondering if there is someone out there that makes their one shot for their shotgun.
Is there a product that one can use to make lead shot in say the no. 7 to no. 2 range.
Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.burgessbullets.com/index.html
I think it is only made for North American electrical current.

posted Hide Post
Johan,

The do it yourself shotmakers that I have read about only make shot in sizes 7 to 9. If you go over to http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php and search through the reloading forum there are some discussions on building and operating shotmakers. There is on article with a link to where a guy built a complete shot processor ( shotmaker, dryer, sorter and lubricator in one machine).

Mark .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Littleton is available in 220V model. As it only power the electric heater, 50 or 60 Hz makes no difference. You would have to change the plug though.

Don't know if the drip holes could be dirlled out for larger shot size or not. Brugess could probably answer that.

Good luck.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentleman.
Do you guys maybe know of someone that wants to sell a used Littleton.
I am still wondering if there is a way to make shot by hand,there must be a way.
Any ideas would be welcomed.
Regards
Johan

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan, I have 4 of them and my son and i are in he process of making shot. We are not up to production yet but shortly.

It is a very labor intensive process but from a ton of lead gleaned from wheel weights your cost is around $400 and it will market here for around $1400. So you are looking at $5 a bag for costs, not including you outlay. It is not feasible to do this just to save money yourself with the Littleton costing $350. Most people that get into it end up selling a lot of their excess.

I know of no one who is doing it with any different process. The old shot towers drop from approximately 60 feet and still needs the same type of system at the top to meter out the molten lead. You have to melt, flux and build bisquits of lead before you even start. The lead from a littleton drops 1/8" to a coolant, then it has to be cleanded, dried and tumbled with graphite before you package it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic

If you don't mind my asking, what is the quality of the shot from those Littelton shot makers. I have seen varying reports.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do all the prep work to begin with, fluxing three different times and keep your temperature of your cooland in a decent range, it looks and operates like factory shot.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't want to knock what your doing but it seems like a real pain in the A$$.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:
I certainly don't want to knock what your doing but it seems like a real pain in the A$$.

That's what most people think about shotshell reloading!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
animal animal animal animal

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote