New
Find
Notify
Tools

J&S recaimed shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have experience with J&S reclaimed shot?

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but typically re-claimed shot is good for singles or skeet type ranges. Personally I wouldn't use it for handicap (unless under 20 yards) or competition.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 5 stand and 16yd. The general consensus is that it works fine. Price is the hold up.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by price is the hold up. If it ain't significantly cheaper, why buy it?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to buy 3000 lbs or 6000 lbs to get a good price, but I'm not finding many shooters around here who will buy at $35-$37 a bag so I don't end up with a garage full of shot. I want to keep 40 bags but not 80 or 180.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't current on shot prices. They have really gone up since I last checked. If that price includes freight, it ain't all that bad.

When our gun club used to buy it in bulk, we had it delivered or sometimes someone would go pick it up from a distributor. Of course, that was in the days when it was under, sometimes well under, $20/bag.

I remember buying some Pattern Perfect (it wasn't, mexican shot, no antimony at all, but ok for skeet practice) bags for $6/25# bag.

A quick check on internet says you can buy new Eagle brand magnum shot delivered for about $49/bag. I have no idea how good Eagle brand shot is. Rotometal is selling 2 bags West Coast magnum shot for $50/bag delivered. They also are selling reclaimed shot LOOSE for $37.50 for 25# in 2000 pound lot. They are also selling 80 bags new magnum for $43.99 delivered. Probably the best deal if you're going to compete with it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
I was looking at shot the other day and a local retailer was asking $53 for a bag of commercial #9 I can get new RIO ammo for less than that. What is going on???

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of reclaimed shot every year. Right now I have 3.5 tons in stock for personal use that was cleaned and regraphited. I paid $25-27 per 25# bag last summer and am glad to have it in a pile in my shop.
Shoot what saves you money.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote