New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subsonic Varmint/Predator Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a skunk/hawk load to protect my chickens. I have a metrogun barrel, and from what I read seems like the quickest burning powder, smallest amount of gas that will produce 900fps for 1 1/8oz loads is the way to go to keep this quiet. It has been 30 years since I reloaded 12ga shotgun so I appreciate some help in getting me started with powder, shot size and any other tips.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently I picked up a Three Powder Reloading Manuals in One at a local gun shop-free. go to the Reloading Center at hodgdon.com for loads.
The manual gives loading data for 980 fps in 12 guage. uses WAALite powder, Fed Gold M plastic cases' 1 &1/8 oz lead shot, several chioces of wads & primers; another set of loads uses Remington STS or Nitro 27 or gun club plastic cases; WAAlite powder, 1 & 1/8 ozshot, etc. There is also loads for Win AA plastic cases.
The other powder manufactures probably offer sub sonic loads as well.
Good Luck
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a caution: if you try to work up any loads at all, I would recommend shooting them out of a straight bore. Shotgun barrels are paper thin, and if the powder charge doesn't have enough "horsepower" to push the shot charge past the choke, the barrel is going to burst.

I learned that lesson 20+ years ago when I failed to take the price tag off a 502 bar for a MEC and a friend didn't push the bar far enough to get a full charge of powder... the first shot split his 1100 barrel about 4" back from the muzzle.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use these http://www.bandpusa.com/f2-sub-sound-single-box/ in all of my old SxS s. They're pretty darn quiet.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Just a caution: if you try to work up any loads at all, I would recommend shooting them out of a straight bore. Shotgun barrels are paper thin, and if the powder charge doesn't have enough "horsepower" to push the shot charge past the choke, the barrel is going to burst.

I learned that lesson 20+ years ago when I failed to take the price tag off a 502 bar for a MEC and a friend didn't push the bar far enough to get a full charge of powder... the first shot split his 1100 barrel about 4" back from the muzzle.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote