Find
Notify
Tools

410 reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All,
is there any reloading kits/sets that will allow me to reload 410 the only one i could find for sale in australia is a mec which will cost more than i paid for the gun.

Has anyone used 303 or 444 marlin brass to make 410 shot shells and if so how did you seal the case.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought a MEC. Here the 2 1/2 inch shells run about $14.00 a box of 25 and the 3 inch shells about $16.00 a box. I can reload the cases at about $4.00 a box. The reloader pays its way fast if you shoot even a little.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornet nick:

Has anyone used 303 or 444 marlin brass to make 410 shot shells and if so how did you seal the case.

Take a look here: www.rockymountaincartridge.com
Their loading instructions are very useful. Good luck!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lal for the link.
I think i will have to draw up diagrams and get something turned up

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I was told by a client that he used to fireform .303 cases and reload them. I never asked him for the 'recipe' though.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 444 cases in mine and they work fine, a little weak on case capacity. If you have access to a lathe, you could make a hand loading tool for the .410 easily. unless your talking about a large amount of reloading.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got hold of a old lee loader 410 3 inch and a small supply of remington wads from a gun dealer that deals with a lot of old shooters who are getting out of the sport for what ever reason. While i was there i asked the dealer how much factory ammo was and he said he would no longer be stocking it as all he could get was federal at $17+ 10% GST his buy price. At other dealers winchester 3 inch shells are getting close to a dollar a shot. I think i will be using 444 brass to make shells as i have a 444 already and reload for it.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
good for you!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of the blokes over at the www.australianhunting.net forums have had a go at this, with .303 Brit brass. They got it to work OK. Finding a good .410 powder in Oz is not easy though - Win 296 or Alliant 410 are apparently a lot better than AR2205, which leaves a lot of unburnt residue.

This article might also be useful: http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote