Find
Notify
Tools

Another new guy question on 7/8 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
We have been saving LOTS of Win. AA hulls (new). What are some reccomended powders, and wads. It would be great if the powder could also be used on 1oz or 11/8 loads, but not a big deal if not. The 7/8 oz loads are for my daughter, the speed and low recoil has her 16 year old fanny close to kicking by butt.

any suggestions appreciated, as the 5th edition lyman only has 2 7/8 oz loads listed

Thanks guys!
Joe

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman's 4th Ed
Red Dot or Clays has data for 7/8-1-1/18, but Clays is the way I would go, it is a LOT cleaner burning. Here's an example of each.

7/8 oz, Clays 18.0 gr,W209, WAA12SL wad-1245fps
1oz, Clays 17.5 gr, W209,WAA12SL wad - 1196
1 1/8 oz, Clays 16.5 gr, W209, WAA12 wad-1152

These are listed under Win compression formed 2 3/4 " but I have loaded the new hulls to same spec, I've used the 1 1/8 oz load with #6 for grouse and was pleased.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
For cost,

Fiocchi Primer
Pink Downrange wad
Tightwad powder
Lord help you on lead........

See for example,
www.conniescomponents.com
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/
www.gamaliel.com

With mild loads, you can sub the Fiocchi 616 for the W209. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Look at the loading data on line from Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR & Win powdwrs) and Alliant. You will find plenty of data on 7/8 oz loads. If you wish to save some money try Alliant's Promo powder. It sells for about $80 for 8# and uses the same data as Red Dot by weight but the density may very so you must verify drops with your scale. The Down Range XXL Pink wad is a good one I have been getting the Clay Busters 0178 wad cheaper than the XXL Pink and yes do pick up some Fiochi primers. Remchesters have gotten rediculous and Fio's, Noble Sport and Chedite are a decent alternative.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The claybuster wad works, but I've sworn them off after getting a batch that turned cleaning the gun into an exercise in chipping plastic from the choke. It't the one place I actually gladly pay a little more.

By-the-by, the yellow Windjammer wad also makes a good 7/8th oz load, but you'd have to "wildcat" it, as I've not found any data. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote