The Accurate Reloading Forums
Latter-day SS reloading

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/651105014

23 January 2006, 04:09
Gimpy
Latter-day SS reloading
I've been reloading shotgun ammo since the mid-80's. Back then it was almost LAW that reloading recipies were adhered to without deviation. Since returning to reloading, and snce the advent of the internet, I've noticed there is a freer substitution of components (wads, primers,etc.) than in the past. For instance, Fig 8 wads (among others) for WW-12's in 12 ga. 1/1/8 target loads, etc. Wondered what is the experience of those here.
23 January 2006, 08:28
johnch
Best thing to do is stick to as listed loads .
But several companys produce replacement wads that load the same and look the same , Claybuster and Duster come to mind .

I have been loading for 25+ years , I know what wads and primers NORMALY will produce higher or lower pressures in a given hull .

Powder charges should NEVER exced recomended .

In my trap , skeet , sporting clays and blackbird loads witch are all 2 3/4" 7/8 - 1 1/8 oz and 1150 -1200 fps there is some room to change conponints if you use slower powders .

But if you run faster powders like Clays , Tite Wad , Solo 1000 Red Dot ect pressures can go from safe to whay high by just changing the primer or wad .

With heavyer loads or Nontoxic loads , stick to listed load , EXACTLY !
IMO for most people it is best to stick to listed loads .
If you can't get a componant , call or email the powder company .
They have Tec guys that can help you .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results
23 January 2006, 08:34
johnch
Remember , loads posted on the net by the average guy , that says the load is safe in his gun .
Can not be held liable if the load damages or blows up your gun .

I have seen loads posted that were crazy , but guys try them anywhay .

Remember it is YOU that could be hurt or worse .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results
23 January 2006, 09:34
Gimpy
What you said is pretty much the way I see/do it, also. There's just definitely a lot more experimentation than in the "old" days. I'm still on the second of two 5 lb. cans of 700X, so that might give you an idea of how long it's been! There's a fast burner for you.
23 January 2006, 13:14
Saeed
Gentlemen,

A few years back we had a man come up here with a Bennelli semi-auto shotgun. There was a rod protruding from the top of the pistol grip - just where one's thumb normally sits.

That rod was part of the bolt, and it had broken clear through the wood!

I asked him what ammo he was using, and it transpired that he decided to load his own.

He has never loadded any ammo before. In fact, he did not even have any loading equipment.

He said he wanted to make "magnums" out of his normal shotgun shells.

He opened a few very carefully, pulling the shot, wad and powder out of each shell.

Our genius thought if he added more shot, he would also need to add more powder.

Trouble is, there is not enough space in the case for all his addition shot and powder.

He was not going to be deterred.

He cut the wad into 3 pieces, throwing the middle peace away. He somehow thought if he added 1.5 times the powder he found in the original shell, he would also add 1.5 times the shot charge!

The original shotshells he started off with were Fiocchi field loads.

He painstakingly loaded 5 rounds, resealed them with wax, and tried one.

And his shotgun ended up as I have described above.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
23 January 2006, 17:49
Dutch
That's one end of the extreme. On the other end is substituting a WindjammerII wad for a AA wad. Are you going to blow up your gun because you take 17 grains of Clays and substitute one wad for a very similar one?

I'm willing to bet my fingers that you don't. As a matter of fact, I do, thousands of times a year.

On the other hand, when loading shells that are close to the limit (such as field loads), I don't mess around. There is usually not enough pressure data available to make an interpolation or educated guess as to the effect of a substitution.

Shotshell reloading is not magic voodoo. Many reloaders freely use "substitute" wads like the Claybusters or the Dusters, even though we know they perform differently. Reloaders even do so without ever weighing their powder or their shot. Even though we know bushing's are only approximations.

I'd rather switch out a AA wad for a Windjammer than reload without a scale. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
23 January 2006, 19:59
Gimpy
Saeed, now that's what I call experimentation! I be afraid to even contemplate what that gent did.

Dutch, I usually try to find a recipe for the components I have. A friend, who's getting out of SS loading gave me a bag of Fig 8's and 1000 Rem primers.(I use Win.) I compared the wad column height of it with the Clayduster 1118 and they look almost the same. Both are used in various target recipies. Got any experience with the Fig 8? Want to pattern some loads with it. Thanks.
23 January 2006, 21:29
Dutch
Gimpy,

Geez, you should not have any problem finding loading data for the fig. 8. I've never loaded it, but lots of guys do. What hulls and powder do you have?

Have you checked with www.Hodgdon.com and www.alliantpowder.com for combinations that would work?

Enjoy God's country out there (I spent some formative time at Grangeville High in the early 80's -- wish I could afford to go back....). FWIW, Dutch.

PS, the best supplier for components in the state is Larry's in Nampa (www.Larryssg.com).

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
24 January 2006, 04:49
Gimpy
Thanks for the info and links, Dutch. Powders I have left are 700x and 800x. Looks like a lot more choices in all components, now. We've been up here for a year and a half since moving from PRKalif. Lot more grouse and quail here, so want to do some shotgunin' now. Need lots of practice. Appreciate the help.