Notify
Tools

New to shotshell reloading need help w/ 12 ga 2.5"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Hi All,

Been relaoding forever, even helped load shotshells before, but have no shotshell reloader of my own. I simply dont shoot shotguns enough to have warranted the time or effort.

Well, I recently acquired a beautiful old SXS 12 Ga. that is chambered in 2.5". What little research I have done suggests that the 2.5" shells can be relaoded but I'm a bit confused as to what I need in order to do so? I noticed they have 2.5" brass shells and these are reloaded in a die but that die requires a much larger press than I have.

I know that I can buy loaded 2.5" shells but the idea of reloading for this SXS appeals to me.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the MEC presses can be set up for the shorter shells. Might take a look at their web site. 2.5" load data might be a bit harder to come by.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has some 2.5" data on their web site. Contact MEC on the conversion.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need some way of resizing the case. There are a lot of tools for that. You also will need something to seat a primer also, that is a different tool altogether than the ones used for metallic except on the all brass cases.

Otherwise, if you want minimalist, you can use roll crimping (which to my understanding is how most of the old english guns were loaded back when - with a roll crimper and a power screwdriver, and use your metallic stuff to measure out the powder load and make some sort of dipper for the shot.

MEC is probably the best bet if you want to get a press set up to do fold crimps on 2.5" shells as they make some lifts to allow different sized shells for their 3.5" presses. They may have to custom build one, but it should not be too difficult.

I think Ballistic Products also has some specialty load info for short shells using their components.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will look into finding a MEC.

In the meantime, a flat of shells is only a little over $100. Kinda hard to say no to the convenience.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote