Find
Notify
Tools

Wads for trap shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have not shot any trap for years, but plan to go in a few days...Using 700X or Longshot powder. What is the current wad of choice among trap shooters? 1 1/8 oz loads...

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
western orange, claybuster, winjammer, all make a replacement for the AA wad, use in AA hulls over 15 to 18 g of 700x and cheddite primer.
rem figure 8 wads (tgt12) for sts or nitro gold hulls, same load as above 1oz to 1 1/8oz shot.

One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the DUSTER brand wads in AA hulls using 1 1/8 oz loads. I also use 700-X with a Win209 primer and they work great.

In STS/Nitro hulls, the Rem Fig8 is what I use for 1 1/8. I prefer though to load a 1oz load using the TGT12 wad. For this load I use the Rem209 STS primer.

What you will find eventually, is that a 1oz load hits 'em just as hard and they're a little cheaper to reload.

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SShooterZ:

What you will find eventually, is that a 1oz load hits 'em just as hard and they're a little cheaper to reload.

I agree with that. Plus the 1 oz. load produces slightly less recoil or kick, and that makes a difference over a string of shots. I've found that even if you aren't noticeably recoil sensitive, it does tend to make you tired after 50 or 75 shots, and less recoil makes you less so.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote