New
Find
Notify
Tools

2.5" 12 ga. shotgun ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
who is the best source of 2.5" 12 ga. shotgun ammo..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the USA I don't know. But for sure both Holland & Holland and Westley Richards have a presence in your country so may point you in the right direction.

As to who makes the best 2.5" (also of course marked up as 65mm or in many cases 67.5mmm) that's a whole topic in itself.

Best by far in UK is probably Lylvale Express in terms of quality. Hull Cartridge Company are also good. I'd rate Eley as third behind those two. Gamebore? I'd sooner not take my gun out than use gamebore through it.

But in terms of paper case cartidges Gamebore, Hull, Eley all use the same generic Europan cases bought in. The best paper cased cartridge cases IMHO are Sellier & Bellot. The contents...shot quality...may not be as good as Lylvale but the cases are better. So maybe seek a Sellier & Bellot importer in the USA?

Hope it helps.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
RST Shells are used by many

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Polywad as well. Good stuff..

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Call LD McCaa at Westley Richards in Florida and see if they are importing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Baschieri & pellagri. I have also used the rst. B&P have good prices and you can get free shipping most of the time.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I tried them to buy some 2 5/8 10G. shells but just got the runaround on that site listed above.I hate not being able to talk to a human being.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded them using Federal paper hulls (and WAA CF hulls) that are cut short and roll-crimped.

I have also used Winchester SuperLite 2-3/4" ammo in both my Dickson and my Atkin. The LENGTH of the fired cartridge is not nearly as critical as the pressure the load develops. The Atkin is proofed for 1-1/8 oz. loads, so I stay under 8,000 psi. 7625 is a good powder to use in the lighter loads... if you can find it.

Before anyone starts throwing rocks, do some research.

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a bunch of brands by Ballistics Products. I use RST in my Charles Osbourne boxlock.

https://www.ballisticproducts....Shells/products/188/

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for RST. They will mix loads and shot sizes in the flat if you like. They are good people and very supportive of the vintage gun shoots.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Another thumbs up for RST, good people and good 2-1/2" ammo.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
I’ve had good luck with Baschieri & pellagri. I have also used the rst. B&P have good prices and you can get free shipping most of the time.

The high-velocity Hi-Pheasant 2.5" 1 1/16 oz load was head and shoulders above the rest of the field - insofar as killing stuff at distance was concerned. It was a bit much for even 2.5" vintage guns like my VH, IMO. Great in 21s or even 391s.

The 1160 fps 1 oz version was a pussycat, and almost as effective on birds.

Seems they've been discontinued? Couldn't find them on the Aerostar website.

Nothing negative to say about RST and Polywad, tho.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There may be some loads that are only ran certain times of the year. Aerostar is very easy to work with and the prices are very good. Shipping is usually free which is nice if you have several cases headed you’re way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray

I like RST ammo and shoot it in my Dickson and Atkin. You can buy a number of short 12 gauge loads in plastic or paper hulls.

They also offer a variety of short loads for 16 and 20 gauge guns.

Good stuff and not too expensive.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I use RST ammo in my pre war Purdey and in my Stephen Grant 1878 vintage hammer gun. The 1oz light loads work great in my damascus barreled Grant, and the low pressure of these loads make shooting them very safe in this BP proofed gun. For my pre war Purdey, which is choked M/F, I use the paper RST 1 1/16 oz loads in #5 shot. These knock the snot out of pheasants, both preserve and wild. I also use the RST spreader loads in 7 ½ shot for quail and chukars, and this essentially opens up my patterns to IC/M.
Overall, the RST shells perform really well.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely use RST. Call them on anything you want to buy. They will tell you pressure of their loads.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
+1 on RST... 10 boxes of #8 plus 4 boxes of #5 for my Parker Trojan 12 ga...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the overall length of most 12 gauge 2-3/4" and 2-1/2" are within about 1/16" of each other. And Sherman Bell did real world pressure testing comparing pressures of both 2-1/2" and 2-3/4" ammunition in 2-1/2" chambered guns. There was a very slight difference in pressure in the same load in both cartridge lengths.

It is NOT the difference in HULL LENGTH that matters - it is the HIGHER LOAD PRESSURE of most 2-3/4" factory cartridges that matters.

I frequently shoot low pressure loads in Win AA hulls in my 2-1/2" twelves. Absolutely no problems. FWIW.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
It's only like 200psi difference shooting 2 3/4" in 2 1/2" chambered shotguns.

Modern loaded ammo pressure is the factor in old guns and it more often affects the old wood.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RsT.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at RSTs online inventory lately?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RST has 12 bore 2 1/2" 1 oz lite loads in 7 1/2 and 8 shot available now. $180 per case.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of stock now. Sold out in 1 day.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polywad sells 2 1/2 inch loads out of Georgia.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've started loading my own again. Same with 16GA. Fortunately I have a lot of components. For years I used bags of shot as weights for gluing my woodworking projects. Now I'm shooting them.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote