Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old MEC 650 back in service
 Login/Join

posted
I got my Dad's old MEC 650 out of the closet a couple of months ago and moved to my house on the loading becnh. (Sure looks good there!)After some cleaning and replacement of broken parts - dang kids had played with it - I have it loading shells! (20g, Remingtons hulls and wads, 7/8oz shot, 15.5g of 20/28 powder. So far it has done well - used to load a lot with my dad 25 years ago so I was a bit rusty. (Lost my Dad so my go-to guy is gone.) This press is around 35 years old.
Strange thing for me is that I had to go up 2 sizes in the powder bushing to get the right weight. Chart calls for a #18 bushing for that powder/weight but I had to go to a #20.(Checking powder on an RCBS Chargemaster scale.)I have read that the MEC chart is based on a single stage and that the progressive will vary from that - but, 2 bushing sizes? Has anyone else had to do that? Just want to make sure I havn't gone off the deep end!
I also found 7-8 hundred old primers "new in the box" - HA! Loaded 2 boxes of them and they all shot fine. -!!!- (CCI primers) Maybe have answered my own question but, do you think these are OK to use?
I'm fixing to run off to work so I'll look forward to reading any answers tomorrow!
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 'calibrated' all of my bushings, even adjusted a few to get what I wanted. I cycle the press just as I do when loading, dumping the powder to the scale, shot into empty case, crimping etc. I have found that different powders respond differently to this process. If you use a MEC powder buffer between the powder bottle and press you will also get slightly different weights. The ball powders are usually the most consistent, Blue Dot, Unique, Steel are the worst, I usually end up weighing each charge if using these ( I try not to). Their shot bushings can be off also, calibrate for the size of shot you are using.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you checked, but to state the obvious...

When I dug out my shotshell reloader the last time to crank out a few hundred rounds, I found a spiderweb in the drop tube that was causing irratic charge weights.

I don't know about the bushing differences...I have used the same bar, bushing and load since 1974. Quail still die. Wink

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bushings will vary - I usually have to go up one or two bushing sizes to get the published powder weight. I suspect it is to minimize their legal liability by keeping powder drops on the "safe" side.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To quote eliscominm-
"I suspect it is to minimize their legal liability by keeping powder drops on the "safe" side."

I thought the same thing but some of the bushings were with this press forever. I would not have thought that was a problem 35+ years ago!

And I checked the tube - thanks for the idea though, never had a spidery web in one! Did have a CRAYON in one! I changed the press over from 16g down to 20g. Cleaned and polished everything. The powder weights are consistant within 2-3 tenths - it's just that I had to go up 2 bushing sizes to get the correct weight. ALSO noticed that the loads that my Dad used - have his old notes still - the bushing was dropping light on it. Knowing that he never had a scale (mistake right there Wink) he must have went by the chart I guess. But yes, quail still died - and the occasional hopper! But it also explains why we had trouble getting a good crimp..... Smiler
Thanks for the replys!