Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Products, 28 ga load question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted
Has any one tried the Fiocchi, 15 gr Universal Clays, SG28-II, 3/4 oz shot load on page 243 of the Advantages manual? I think the wad is incorrect, as the available room for 3/4 oz of shot is far too large. I'm guessing the original SG28 or the AAHS wad is more appropriate.

I sent an email to BP, waiting for a response from the Curmudgeon.

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
let us know what you find out.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Ballistic Products 16 Ga manual and I have found that several loads that I have tried are way off, in terms of proper filling for crimping. I don't use their data at all any more.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have loaded plenty of Fiocchi, Federal and Euro trash hulls with the Red Duster / CB 5034 HS wads. It's far more cost effective.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Aside from the fact that the Red Duster wads are 33% cheaper (sounds better than $0.01 per wad), they are the correct size!

I used the corresponding Winchester HS wad and it worked perfectly.

Just received a bag of Clay Busters for both the AA (1034)and HS (3034)shells.

Looks like rain all weekend so it will be next Saturday before I try them.

Think the Curmudgeon just got this one wrong. Not good in a reloading manual.

Thanks

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Well, I've heard nothing from the Curmudgeon. I just fired 5 of the Fiocchi 28 ga, 14.7 gr Universal, Winchester HS wads, 209 primer over a chronograph. 5 shots, min (1st shot) 1196 fps, max 1245 fps with three at 1222 fps. No problems with extraction (CZ SxS), no signs of high pressure. I shoot 5-stand tomorrow, think they will be just fine.

I'll let you know if I hear anything from BP. I think the listed load (wad) is just incorrect. Guess I'll ignore the Advantages book, as mentioned bu df06 above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

You might try sending a PM to NVguide. I know he shoots some pretty heavy 28ga loads. Uses them for ducks, geese, and sandhills. He might just have the info you are looking for.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2972 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
once tried a 28 ga. load from B P manuel in federal hull, no good.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only in the USA..folks try to make a 12 ga. out of a 28 ga. or a 300 Win. out of a 30-06!! Why be this! homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote