New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short 16 gauge shell reloading ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have some older 16 gauge shotguns that use a 2 5/8 inch shell instead of the 2 3/4 inch modern shell.

Some are double barrels. One is a Browning Auto-5.

Some gunsmiths tell me there is not a problem with shooting the modern 2 3/4 inch shells in the double guns. Stay away from the heaviest high pressure loads and I'll be OK. Others say "no".

With regards to the Browning Auto-5, they say try the 2 3/4 inch shells and if it doesn't jam or mechanically malfunction, it's OK too.

Thoughts please.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Change gunsmiths...or listen to the one's promoting abstinence.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beleive you ar referring to the 2 9/16" shells, not 2 5/8". Whoever told you it is okay to shoot the now-standard 2 3/4" 16 gauge shells in the 2 9/16" chamber is dead wrong and if the practice is continued, someone is going to be badly injured. The mouth of the longer shell will not open completely in the short chamber and this results in the pressure building up beyond the manufacturer's standards. It is anybody's guess what that pressure increases to but I advise you to not risk it. It is analgous to shooting to shooting a damascus barreled gun, you can get away with it for a long time and then one shot and you have nothing left at the end of your left arm. All is not lost for the short-chamber 16s, 2 1/2" shells are available though at a higher price. Try Ballistic Specialties, etc. But first, are you sure the guns you have are still short-chambered? Manufacturers dropped the 2 9/16" chambering and went exclusively to the present 2 3/4" chamber sometime around 1929. As the years went by and the short shells became harder and harder to find, most people simply had the chamber lengthened to 2 3/4". If you have not had them checked, have a competent gunsmith check each barrel of each 2 9/16" gun and confirm the present chamber length no matter if the gun has 2 9/16" stamped on it. Of the dozen or so guns I have found to have been lengthened, none had been re-stamped with the longer chamber designation. Make sure the 'smith uses go-no go gauges, not a depth caliper. You can also roll your own short shells which is what I do for all of my short-chamber 16s. And I mean literally roll your own because I make them with the original roll crimp. You can also make them with the pie crimp but that involves work on the dies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Go to www.16ga.com you'll find all you need to know about loading for and shooting your 16 gauge guns. You will see references to the low pressure group, you should join the group and read what they have learned about short chambers and damascus guns. Lots of information backed by testing.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

... listen to the one's promoting abstinence.

Just heard one of Obama's people and a reporter agree that abstinence doesn't work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will check out the 16gauge.com folks and their recommendations.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and recommendations

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I believe all A-5's were at least 2 3/4" chambered regardless of gauge.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Won't swear to it...

But think I have a Pre-War Browning Auto-5 16 gauge in the basement marked for the short shells.

Will look again this weekend...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Just came across this in the Blue Book:

"Pre WWII A-5's could be chambered in 2 9/16" shells." Also, "The 2 9/16" chambered guns can be modified by the Browning Service Dept. to accept 2 3/4" shells if so desired."

Learn something new every day!

BTW, if you don't already know, short shells are available from RST, Polywad, and B&P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered some short shells from RST this morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Have heard y'all loud and clear. Appreciate and respect your comments.

Have already ordered short shells for my vintage 16 gauges.

Thought I would pass along these comments from other sources.

The different opinions of highly regarded people do intrigue me.

I like a 16 ga. It handles like a 20 and shoots like a 12, how ya gonna beat that...

I also like 2" British ammo, it really patterns well and recoil is very mild..good stuff if you can get it..

I shot a ton of 2-3/4 ammo in my 2.5 chambered gun some years back, never had a problem..Depends on what gun you have IMO... also in some guns it blows the pattern...The best and most knowledgeable shotgun master I know does it all the time and has for ever...but like everybody else I won't recommend it.

~ Ray Atkinson, outfitter

One of my favorite shotguns is a straight gripped, black diamond grade M-12 16 ga. made in 1913. I'm sure it has 2 5/8" chambers but I've been firing 2 3/4" shells in it now for a couple decades with no problems.

~ Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan outfitter

Actually, some of my friends in the ammo industry have pressure tested 2-3/4" 16 gauge shells in 2-1/2" chambers and there wasn't any increase in pressure.

~ John Barsness, field editor for Handloader and Rifle magazines

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Sterlingworth 16 that I use short shells in. Low recoil, quiet, and they kill birds just fine.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
A very simple and inexpensive solution to this "problem" is to buy a forcing cone reamer from Brownells and open them up if you are worried about it and don't have shorter shells.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4189 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as for Damascus barrels there is a GREAT DEAL of info in the double gun journal under the most recent finding out for myself articles. They tried hard to blow up Damascus steel barrels and were unsuccessful. But hey what-da - I- know

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several SxS shotguns with 2.5in chambers. The easiest way is to buy Cheddite 2.5in primed hulls from Graff's. I have also cut down Fiocchi and Remington 2 3/4 in hulls. Use 3/4 or 7/8 oz with a light charge of GreenDot and shoot away.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote