New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for the 410 3"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to start loading for my 410. I am going to stick with 3" shells only. What is your choice for clean burning powder for the 410 3"? I have about a half a pound of 2400 and I suppose I will start there. I was thinking about Alliants new 410 powder but I can't find any data for it using 3" shells. After the 2400 is gone what powder should I purchase?

Thanks
Steve

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Steve, the data I am finding for Alliant 410 is limited to 2 1/2" shells. I have also been looking for data for the 3" 410 and it seems like Win 296, Hodgdon H110, and IMR 4227 are as versatile as anything.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use Little Gun , by Hodgdon .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snipe hunter, welcome to AR. Been too long since I have seen any of your wonderful snipe hunting pictures.

I do not have any loads for 3" shells but the powder that I use is WC 820. It is a military surplus powder that is just a tad hotter (10% +/-) than H110, which is the same as Winchester 296. The big difference is that it costs $56 (or it did the last time I bought some) for 8 lbs. I use it for 410 skeet loads. I bought 32 pounds of it. That is enough powder for 16,500 rounds, so I am in good shape for the time being.

BTW, 410 and Lil gun are hard on your cases, but with 3" shells, case life may not be an issue.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic, thanks for the info on that powder. Is it a straight substitute for 296? I will write down that number and perhaps I can find a keg when the next gun show comes to town. One thing I noticed about Lil Gun is that it is right at the top of the pressure range. However, with it being on the fast end of the 410 range you use less of it so a pound goes farther. Still, I tend to look for low pressure and don't mind burning an extra grain or so. I did have a good season this year on the snipe. If you click on the link in my signature you can see some recent pictures.

SH

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 13.4 grains of 820 and it gives me around 1250 fps with 1/2 oz of shot. If you look at the hodgon site here you will see that you need about 2 grains more of H110 to get that velocity. I see on that website that they do have some loads for 3" .410 hulls and with 11/16 oz, they use from 13.5 grains to 14.1 grains. I would temper that by about 1.5 grains and run it through a chronograph.

Here is a link to Jeff Bartletts surplus powder. The WC 820 pull down powder is still the same price at $56. New powder is $64. The pull down powder is taken from dismantled ammo. It is perfectly good. Jeff used to eliminate the haz mat fee when you bought 4 jugs but it does look like does any longer.

High Tech also has WC 820 for $59 per 8 lbs and they do not charge for the haz mat fee if you buy 4. You can find them here.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SH, great site. It is always a treat to see your photos of your birds and your wonderful guns. Does the English Setter point the snipe in the marshes?

Chic Worthing

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
He does point but what he is smelling is old scent. With a high number of birds and them moving around scent is everywhere. I take him a couple of times just to give him some exercise. He turned eleven last month. The majority of those birds flush far enough out that by the time a dog is close enough to scent them they are gone. I watch birds flush at fifty to seventy-five yards and when the dog get to where it was sitting he'll lock up. Because of the height of the grass the dog doesn't see them flush. I walk up in front of him through the area and then the dog breaks point and goes on about his business. We don't shoot many birds when he goes along unless I keep him at heel. He is helpful for finding a bird that is down. They blend in so well and never seem to fall with their white belly up. Of course a cripple that wants to play hide and seek without a dog is very tough to get without spending quite a bit of time. A good retriever is by far more valuable for the type of snipe hunting I do.

SH

Got Snipe?