New
Find
Notify
Tools

"clean" burning shotshell powder?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone recommend a clean burning powder for semi-auto shotguns? Just got a new Beretta A391 (first semi-auto) and want to load some ammo for the upcoming dove season. I'll be using Win AA hulls and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 or 8 shot at about 1250fps. I always used Unique in my pump but it did seem to leave quite a bit of unburned residue.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Try one of the loads using American Select
There are some going 1250 FPS

Link

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some Hogdon Clays for clean burning, cleanest burning I've ever seen. Lyman shotshell manual shows some 1 1/8 oz loads in AA hulls at just under 1200 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads and save some money. Doves'll be just as dead.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
As swheeler mentioned, Hodgdon Clays is just about the cleanest burning powder you can find. It's really nice. International Clays isn't bad either.

One rule of thumb that I've found is that the higher the pressure of the reload, typically the cleaner it will burn.

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Clays for me too.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also try Hodgdon Titewad in a 1 oz. load. It burns clean, and I do not see any difference in the effectiveness of the 1 oz. load vs. 1-1/8 oz.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Looks like Clays/Titewad are the ones to try. Agree 1 1/8oz loads are little heavy, especially on the opener when there are lots of birds. But, later when it becomes dove "hunting" rather than dove "shooting" I do a lot better on the longer birds with more shot. Also, the last time I tried an autoloader (a Rem. 11-87) it just would not reliably cycle ligher loads. After several unsuccessful trips to Remington gunsmiths I sold it. If the Beretta will cycle 1 oz. loads I'll give em a try on the opener.
Thanks again for the information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clays, if I recall, is aquired from VitaVu in Finland. A dealer explained they use cotton as their nitrocellulose base whereas everyone else is likely to use old newsprint, corncobs, sawdust, or whatever else blows in the shipping & receiving door.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Clays is actually an Australian powder - AS30N.
And yes, a very clean burning powder.

Kirby.

Posts: 1 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 28 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Graf&Sons still has some french powders, check with them, they had very clean fast burning powders for light loads.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
What Edmond said. Normally the Vectan A1 and A0 powders work well in shotguns. The A1 is the faster of the two.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote