THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old international skeet load equivalent?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I remember using Winchester's 12 gauge International skeet load (3 1/2 DE, 1 1/8 oz) to good effect on upland game. Is there an equivalent load commonly listed that will duplicate its ballistics? I'm new to shotshell reloading, and am interested in duplicating this load with a MEC progressive press.

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.wwpowder.com/data/shotshell/12gacaseaa.php
they list loads in about any velocity range. I don't recall exactly what the 3-1/2 de loads were supposed to clock but I believe 1250 fps or so?
Try shooting some patterns, you may find the slower loads produce better patterns and are a bit easier on the shoulder.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
I remember using Winchester's 12 gauge International skeet load (3 1/2 DE, 1 1/8 oz) to good effect on upland game.

I'm confused as to what you mean-- Olympic skeet (Int'l Skeet) loads are 24 grams: less than 7/8 oz.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was an international trap load? I know the box said 3 1/2 DE and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I think it was a very fast load, 1350 FPS or something like that...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Nope-- International Trap is shot with a 24 gram payloads as well, generally at 1350 fps or so.

Nevertheless, whatever you decide you want is available in all the std. loading manuals, and is easy enough to replicate with a MEC.

If you like some speed with old AA or STS hulls, Green Dot or WSF will get you 1270 - 1340 fps with 1-1/8 oz. using several book loads.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
johnnyreb,
If you are looking for loads similar to what you stipulated (minus the nomenclature) you can likely find something in the Hodgon site HERE

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I need to get my MEC 9000 out of the box to see which charge bars it came with so I can make a fast load with 1 1/8 ounces of shot...

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Olympic skeet (Int'l Skeet) loads are 24 grams: less than 7/8 oz.

That's how it is now, I don't recall the reasoning for the change but they used to use heavier loads like 1 1/8 oz. in both trap and skeet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
johnny,

Most of the MEC's I've ever seen new came from the factory delivered with a 1 1/8 Oz. charge bar.

As an incentive to foster more competition (there were still too many 25's, 125's and near perfect scores being posted with the 28 gramm load) ISSF changed the rules to 24 gramm or 13/16's of an Oz. for all Olympic shotgun disciplines, International Trap, Skeet & Double Trap. The ammo makers have met the challenge; offering a good product with solid patterning and fantastic speeds based on these requirements.

You'd be surpised at how far an Olympic Trap load can reach out and break clay pigeons but for my tatses while the clay's break pretty convincingly at extended ranges IMHO this ammo isn't up to the task of making clean kills on live birds at anything past "normal" ranges, unless the uses are pretty specific, like short-range Snipe, Woodcock and Pigeons (sorry, meant Doves). At least my many sojourns to the Arizona desert for Quail where the International Skeet & Trap loads came up seriously lacking. Heavy factory game loads provided significantly cleaner kills (epsically the Winchester high brass #6's in .12 6 .20 gauge); something I was completely uprpepared for.

We used to use the older 28 gramm Olympic Trap load a whole bunch on decoyed Wood Pigeons here and they worked fantastic under those (fairly close range) uses.

Although re-loaded or re-manufactured shotgun ammunition isn't allowed under ISSF rules in sanctioned tournaments, I've played around with these loads quite a bit. I found using the correct wad for the 1 Oz. and below loads the most critical aspect of the whole process, next being the powder selection to get the load to fill the large void in the hulls.

Have fun with your new MEC and your "International" load developemnt.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote