Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading/Need Help
 Login/Join

posted
A while back I picked up a reloader at a yard sale. I've been saving some hulls, and last weekend I picked up all the supplies to give this a try. In The package I got, there are maybe 100 Winchester AA shells with new primers all ready in. I had a bunch of Remington nitro gold 27 handicap shells and some more winchester grey AAs. On the first step, punching out the primer on the remingtons, the hole looks somewhat squared off. When I attempted to put the primer in, it didn't really go in all the way. When I did the same operation to the winchester AAs, they worked fine. I believe the machine is a MEC 600jr. Not sure as the tag is broken off.
So if anyone can fill me in on what is the deal here I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Newbie,
Scott

Posts: 1 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Don't worry the first time you reprime Remington hulls it take a little extra force to seat the primers, after that there great and load many times.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be that the basewad height is off from where your machine was set. If its a used machine, someone may have tinkered with it, and if the basewad of the remington shells is too low, you might not get the primer to fully seat. Most likely though, you just need to use a bit more force to fully seat the primer as Gary said.

One caveat- if you are using Fiocchi primers, they are a little different sized than standard 209's and may do this also.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Good point on the Fiochi primers, Balistict Products says they are .001 oversize.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Rem primers have a more rounded profile than the others. Usually all it takes is a bit more force to seat them. The other method is to cut away a bit of the plastic to make the primer pocket more squared off. To do this take a #1 drill (.227") and run it through the hole. This cleans up the excess plastic and will make seating Win 209's etc much easier. The hull life will not be harmed.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote