New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizer dies for brass cartridge cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At one time, RCBS made full-length sizer dies, and shell holders, to fit in their Rockchucker press (with the thread adapter removed), for 12 gauge and I believe 20 gauge cartridges as well.
These allowed you to resize brass shotgun cases exactly as you would any other metallic case. Since these are now discontinued, I wondered if anyone is aware of another maker of similar products?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I was told by a Cowboy Action Shooter , freind
That moderate loads using brass cases don't need to be sized , even if using smokeless.

I have loaded my 12 gau brass cases 12 - 5 or 6 times so far
and shot them out of several different guns

So far all the cases fall out of the guns
Also they all seem to drop into all the guns

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnch:
I was told by a Cowboy Action Shooter , freind
That moderate loads using brass cases don't need to be sized , even if using smokeless.

I have loaded my 12 gau brass cases 12 - 5 or 6 times so far
and shot them out of several different guns

So far all the cases fall out of the guns
Also they all seem to drop into all the guns

Johnch

I shoot them & have never resized them. (16 ga). Even my hot turkey load with 1 1/4 oz shot @ 1300 fps. They drop right in with no problems. Haven't tried using them in another gun though.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
What do you do to keep the top overshot wad in place? Glue or a roll crimp of some kind?
I've heard of useing Elmers white school glue. How well does it hold up to the rounds being banged around or handled rough?

TIA

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I use wax
Well it is 2 parts candle wax and 1 part bee's wax
It is softer and dosn't flake off
But you may need to ajust it , to your needs

Load all the cases and seat the over card in the case

I try to keep it around .1 below the case mouth
To give me some place for the wax

Then I heat some wax and pour just enough to seal the case mouth / wad in

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
There is a link 2 posts down from this one, Slug crimping die for brass cases, for a die if you decide to get one.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one today from RCBS. Should have it in a couple of weeks. Strange that it took a shooter in Greece to tell us North Americans about something which is built in the USA. This unit is an aluminum body, threaded 1 1/4"-12 which means that you need a press like the Rockchucker with a removeable adaptor bushing. There is a shell holder, a steel sizer ring which threads into the bottom of the body, a decapping assembly, and a roll crimp bushing and threaded adjuster. Basically, with the one die, you can full-length resize, decap, recap, and roll crimp. I notice in the photos that the steel parts are laser engraved "12 gauge". I'd bet money that if this thing sells, RCBS will be looking at making parts available in other gauges, probably the 10 first, all of which would thread into the one aluminum die body.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, in the early sixties as a young teenager, I used water glass (sodium silicate) that I would get at the local drug store to seal and hold the over the shot wad. I was loading brass cases for a 410 double.

Joe A.

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, try to find water glass today, it's scarcer than hens' teeth. I ended up using Weldbond cement instead. Some people recommend a glue called Ducolux but I could never find that either. The Weldbond works fine and has the added bonus of drying clear as water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
What do you do to keep the top overshot wad in place? Glue or a roll crimp of some kind?
I've heard of useing Elmers white school glue. How well does it hold up to the rounds being banged around or handled rough?

TIA

I tried some weaker things but came back to Dupont "duco" household clear cement. I have a stout 16 ga brass turkey load that will knock the 2nd barrel's shot load out of the case if you don't seal the over shot card well. I double seal it on those loads. I'm thinking of trying arrow fletching cement to see if it will hold with one ring around the card.
I never resize brass cases and never roll crimp them at all, though I have the equipment to do it.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote