New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help, I just inherited a ton of shotshell stuff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just inherited a bunch of shotgun shell reloading "stuff".

I have a Mec 600 loader for 12 guage shells, about 4000 hulls of all different types, some various powders and wads (AA and Remington).

It has been about 25 years since I reloaded. Has anything really changed a lot - AA are still the prefered hull, stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up, Ponsness Warren still the best shotshell reloader-

Any advice on what to do with this mess is appreicated.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Sort the hulls and discard any junkers. Clean what you have left. How old is the powder and does it smell ok. Yes, quiet a few changes and you will want to verify loads. AA hulls are still good hulls.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
AA are still the prefered hull. No. Remington STS/ Nitros are 12 12 and 20 ga.

Stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up: pretty much, though I run AA's, STS's and Gun Clubs through at the same settings, and Fiocchi's and Gold Medals at another.

Ponsness Warren still the best shotshell reloader- No, Spolar is the Caddillac of the day.

The biggest change is the price of inexpensive shotshells, which makes reloading a labor of love, not savings, unless you load 28's or 410's. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
Thanks. As I have been studying this, the economics are becoming apparent.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:

Stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up: pretty much, though I run AA's, STS's and Gun Clubs through at the same settings, and Fiocchi's and Gold Medals at another.

I agree with that advice.

I use AA wads in 12 ga for both Winchester and Remington hulls, and I use the same settings (primer, powder, wad, shot amount) interchangeably for both. I do tend to use Winchester primers in the Winchester hulls and Remington in the Remington hulls, but even that isn't necessary -- you can use Winchester primers for both.

Federal 12 ga. hulls do require a different wad -- one specifically made for Federal hulls -- in order to get a good crimp.

In smaller gauges -- 20, 28, 410 -- I've found that the best results come from using the wad of the manufacturer of the hull for that given hull.

I load primarily for skeet, so I'm loading for 1200 f.p.s. in 20, 28, and 410. In 12 ga I usually load 1 oz. of shot using WAA12SL wads -- I almost always use the Claybuster clones -- to a velocity of about 1145 f.p.s. That's all you need for skeet.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote